Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

High School Class of 2019

Replies to: High School Class of 2019

• ahardboiledeggahardboiledegg Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    @awilson9 LOL I guess I made the right choice then! I'm glad I'm done with SATs and ACTs forever (the ACT in particular was a waste of time and I much preferred the SAT)
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot Registered User Posts: 3,692 Senior Member
    I took the ACT last June... without writing. "Not today, Satan," I told myself, "I'll just take the writing next time."
    Should've taken the writing.

So, I'm probably going to ED to Rice, but if that doesn't work out, practically all of my other reaches require the writing. So I gotta kill the SAT.
    edited July 11
    I signed up for the ACT before SAT scores came out and ended up getting a good score on the SAT and then getting a slightly lower score on the ACT anyways. There's a lot of debate about which is better but I hated the ACT. The science and math were dreadful and the whole thing was a drag when I knew I didn't particularly need it.

Thankfully, none of my colleges (or college if end up applying ED to Vassar) require the writing. I've always been too lazy for the writing and turned off by the fee.
    Time to shotgun math prep from now until late August, I guess. Even if I can't get a single-sitting 1600, I at least want that superscore.
    I'm just a little confused because I did a lot of prep on Khan Academy, and I usually got several times more questions wrong in reading and writing than in math.
    Props to you for the determination. I didn’t really study and was expecting maybe a 1400 so when I got a 1520 on the first sitting I was so happy and decided to never take it again. A higher score would be nice but it’s really not worth studying and sitting it again for the schools I’m going for
    My math score is below the 25th percentile for some of my reaches, and I'm applying for science. I don't have much of a choice...
    Good luck! What science are you interested in? I’m not entirely sure what to study in college but I’m leaning towards history. I love history but I’m not sure what career I could go into. Life is hard.
    edited July 11
    No clue. I like ecology and earth science and astronomy, so hopefully some ridiculous combination of those?
    And I'm planning on taking some linguistics classes as distribution requirements, and who knows? That could turn into a minor.
    If only college were free and limitless, I'd love to explore so many different things. I went to a college tour and an admissions officer said that one of the more popular classes was a Russian sci-fi class which is so bizarre and intriguing. And I'd love to learn more languages if I had the time and the resources, but I'm still barely proficient in Spanish.
  • sudaniasudania Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    How far is everyone in terms of college essays? Has anyone started on supplements (based on past years' prompts)?
    @sudania Not at all. I started the common app but I can't think of anything good for the essays
    Wrote one in English at the end of junior year. I need to edit the crap out of it, but I might end up using it.
  • sudaniasudania Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    I told myself I'd have at least two personal statement drafts by July. That didn't happen. :-<
  • darkskiesdarkskies Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I’m so bad at keeping up with this thread, I’ve been adding stuff here and there since freshman year though. My APs went alright. I got 5s in lang, apush, and stats, and got a 3 in physics 1. For the June 9 ACT, I was disappointed to see that if I would’ve gotten a point higher in math, my composite would’ve also gone up a point and I’d be at my goal, buttttttttt I guess I’m retaking it in September.
  • krevin2000krevin2000 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Lurking for a while, finally decided to join. Need some place to vent for the upcoming applications. Are you guys done with subject tests yet? I'm studying for Chem right now...should have taken it right after the AP