Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rate my 4 year plan!

thelittleswimmerthelittleswimmer Registered User Posts: 875 Member
edited December 2015 in High School Life
I would really appreciate any feedback for my 4 year plan (freshman currently)! I hope my schedule looks well-balanced. If it helps, I'd like to pursue an occupation in medicine, hence some of my electives. I guess the only thing that worries me is that my counselor let me know that for junior and senior year, my lunch period would basically be nonexistent, due to a lot of other elective required courses I have to take for credit...
Science:

9: Hon. Physics
10: AP Bio (already have taken Hon. Bio and Hon. Chem for credit, so that's why I'm skipping straight to AP)
11: AP Chem
12: AP Physics I & II

Another option my counselor preferred was for me to repeat Honors Chemistry in 10th grade and take AP Bio & AP Chem junior year, mainly for the labs they do in Hon. Chemistry. I'm hesitant to do this since the Hon. Chemistry course I have taken already covers 95% of what the high school's does from looking at the syllabus&textbook and taking both AP Bio Chem junior year would impact my schedule significantly.

Math:

Hon. PreCalc
AP Calc BC
AP Stat
Math class at local university

History:

US & World History I
US & World History II
AP Euro
AP World

English:

Hon. Eng I
Hon. Eng II
Hon. American Lit (required course.)
AP Lang & Comp

Arts:

Photography I, Art I
---
Art II, Art III
Art IV

Language:

Latin II
Latin III
Latin IV
Latin V

Electives/Other Courses:

9: ---
10: Principles of Biomed Sci. ||| Marketing Research or Business Entrepreneurship (required courses)?
11: Anatomy&Physiology ||| American Gov, Personal Finance in summer (required courses)
12: Med. Interventions

For freshman and sophomore year, I also have the required PE and Health classes for both semesters.

Thank you!!

Replies to: Rate my 4 year plan!

• wonderfulreadswonderfulreads Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    Science: This all looks fine, but I would possibly recommend taking AP Physics your sophomore year, and then taking AP Biology and AP Chemistry, for memory sakes.
    Math: When you say continuing at a local university, do you mean continuing on to Calc III and Differential Equations? If so, I would probably recommend doing that your junior year as well, instead of a gap year of no calculus (since AP Stats is only algebra based).
    History: Are you taking regular history freshman/sophomore because there is no honors available or because you struggle in history? Going from regular to AP could be a bit of a class shock, but is definitely doable, as long as you are prepared for it. Again, the order seems a little weird to me. Shouldn't AP World be taken right after you finish "& World History I + II", then AP Euro?
    English: Looks peachy.
    Electives: Looks peachy.

Make sure to get clarification on all required courses, and to get those all done one way or another.
  • thelittleswimmerthelittleswimmer Registered User Posts: 875 Member
    edited December 2015
    @wonderfulreads:

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

Science: I thought about taking AP Physics sophomore year, but generally it's a senior course and known to be the absolute hardest at my HS in terms of classwork, teachers, and exams. I admit that Physics isn't my best science class as well (I prefer Biology and Chemistry :) ).

Math: Yes, I was thinking about either Calc III or Differential Equations for senior year. Unfortunately, my school requires 3 years of math in order to graduate, hence the AP Stat class. Additionally, my GC told me that if I took a math course at the university, it would be on my own time and would not be included in my high school credits, but I'll look into it to see if I can take an additional math course at the university junior year.

History: I'm taking regular history freshman/sophomore since there is no honors available. Switching AP World and AP Euro around makes sense--I'll remember to change that on my schedule!

• wonderfulreadswonderfulreads Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    @thelittleswimmer Ah, well that all makes sense. I hope everything works out!
  • SightreaderSightreader Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Quick question: Isn't human body systems (the second level of biomedical sciences) between PBS and MI? On your schedule, you skip that class. Other than that, it looks good.
    @Sightreader: Between PBS and MI, my school gives me the option to take either Human Body Systems or Anatomy and Physiology. I decided to take Anatomy and Physiology instead because it goes more in depth :)
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot Registered User Posts: 3,728 Senior Member
    Are you from VA by any chance?
  • BucketsUCSCBucketsUCSC Registered User Posts: 783 Member
    @thelittleswimmer as oppose to taking AP stats why not take AP Calc AB sophomore year, then Calc BC Junior Year, and then Calc 3 senior year
    @awesomepolyglot: No, I'm not from VA. :)

@BucketsUCSC: Calc BC generally covers all of Calc AB in the first semester so it would basically be an accelerated repeat. I thought about that option, but my counselor wouldn't let me take both for that reason.
This discussion has been closed.