Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What internal or external motivation do you have?

ambitiousgeekambitiousgeek Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
edited December 2015 in High School Life
So as the title suggests, after the first semester of junior year, I'm already burned out from studying for PSAT and extracurricular activities. I was just curious as to what keeps you guys motivated to study and trudge onward through all this standardized testing and college issues.. It seems the list of things that I've neglected has grown larger by the day and I've lost a lot of the ambition I originally started off with in the beginning of the year :P Any pep talk is welcome too because very desperate haha

Replies to: What internal or external motivation do you have?

• AMan236AMan236 Registered User Posts: 420 Member
    DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS. YESTERDAY YOU SAID TOMORROW! SO JUST DO IT!!!
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot Registered User Posts: 3,728 Senior Member
    I look at the major requirements for cell biology at Rice.
  • Madeline25Madeline25 Registered User Posts: 525 Member
    @awesomepolygot I do that too! I look at all the classes and major requirements at different colleges. Once I see all the super intresting classes I can take and thibgs I can do, I'm a little more motivated to push through high school. I also look at med schools and residencies.
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 4,638 Senior Member
    What if med school isn't in the cards for you? Why do you want med school? What is the drive to eventually go to med school. It is obviously a motivated for many students but what underlies the motivation to want it?
  • violingirl07violingirl07 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I have three things:
    1) I think about how excited I am to go to college and take classes in my major and eventually have a job doing what I love.
    2) I am extremely competitive, so I think about what other people are doing and where they're applying, so I work harder to keep up.
    3) I seriously reconsidered the schools I was applying to and cut the number down significantly. This might not be for everyone, but it allowed me to really focus on the schools that I loved, and I have no regrets.

Senioritis is a real thing next year, so don't get burned out now!!!
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot Registered User Posts: 3,728 Senior Member
    I actually want to become a research biologist or astrophysicist, preferably at NASA
  • deeeznutsdeeeznuts Registered User Posts: 502 Member
    Watch documentaries on young prodigies and realize I've accomplished nothing compared to them. Jealousy is a huge motivation boost
  • neokingneoking Registered User Posts: 729 Member
    I have a genuine desire to learn about the world around us. It gets hard sometimes, but understanding how things work (love love love physics) and how society came to be (love love love history) is a huge motivator. When I see people who understand the mechanics of something, not only am I jealous, but I also feel pretty bad that I don't know.

Also, my family immigrated here when I was 5, so they sacrificed a lot for my education. I want to make sure their decision was worth it because the ride hasn't been easy so far.
  • photogeek8photogeek8 Registered User Posts: 557 Member
    Food. I think about that sandwich waiting for me as I do my math homework.

^ Lol, that's only partially true. Whenever I notice myself slacking, I think about how I could better use my energy and time. If I catch myself procrastinating, I think about how nice it would be to finish my work early so that I can just relax. I also compare myself to other people (I know, I know, I shouldn't do that...) and imagine what they do to balance a bunch of activities and still get good grades. Then I try to emulate their study habits or whatever it is that of their abilities that I respect.
This discussion has been closed.