Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

High School Class of 2020

Replies to: High School Class of 2020

• hsstudent13hsstudent13 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    @thehhs12 That's really cool! I'm in DECA and it's the same way. I feel like FBLA has so many more diverse events though.
  • thehhs12thehhs12 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    edited January 9
    I agree. I want to go on a summer program for leadership, which is 6-weeks at an overnight camp it COSTS $6,400!

I really like FBLA so far. I have never made it to states before, but this year I did. I don't even know how! I literally guessed on every single question on the test in locals.
  • ForebodingForeboding Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    I'm doing DECA states! My school doesn't have an FBLA club (granted they don't need one because they're such similar organizations).
  • anthonytheboyanthonytheboy Registered User Posts: 358 Member
    @thehhs12 Good luck making that summer program!

Have a good day!
  • phanakinphanakin Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    I just barely submitted my TASS application, y'all!! If anyone's done the same, I'd love to talk with you about it.

@anthonytheboy That's such an interesting topic! I've written two oratories this year --- one on the sunk cost fallacy, and another on the impact of little things. The first didn't do that well at tournaments, so I scrapped it and changed it into an informative, but the second one has been serving me well.
  • Microsoft_NinjaMicrosoft_Ninja Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    @phanakin

do you mean TASP?

because TASS is the Russian news agency.
    Lol :)). Good luck for TASP. You guys are Ivy-League bound. I am not.
  • phanakinphanakin Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    @Microsoft_Ninja No, I did mean TASS! TASP is for juniors/rising seniors. TASS is the same program (Telluride Associations Sophomore Seminar), but for rising juniors.

@thehhs12 Thank you, and don't put yourself down! You're just as likely as any of us, and Ivy League schools aren't for everyone anyway.
  • ltwixsterltwixster Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    @thehhs12 ditto what @phanakin said. Even though I'm considered one of the top students at my school and a lot of my friends give me a hard time about how I'm going to end up at Harvard, I have no aspirations of the Ivy league. Even though my scores are good I know that the Ivies aren't the right environment for me and I won't do well there. So don't worry! There are thousands of colleges in America and you'll definitely find one that you love and that loves you ;)
    Thank you! School is so stress-inducing and as a result, it creates pressure. At my school, they tell me not to even look at top-50 schools and that I would be best going to state flagship (Penn State) or a tiny liberal arts school in the middle of nowhere. I had a really bad freshman year GPA with like a 2.5 unweighted, but overall as a sophomore, I have a higher GPA, so we shall see what happens. But the worst is that my parents are so apathetic about college right now. So, wish me luck! I wish you guys luck!
  • ForebodingForeboding Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Freshman year is viewed with far less care than other years. Colleges also do love an upward trend!
  • anthonytheboyanthonytheboy Registered User Posts: 358 Member
    @phanakin That's great and thank you for your compliments! Good luck in your endeavors in Original Oratory!

Have a good day!
  • needtosucceed27needtosucceed27 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    @thehhs12 I'm in FBLA too? Why does it cost so much for you?
  • needtosucceed27needtosucceed27 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    too* oops
  • ab2002ab2002 Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    @thehhs12 Oh, I know that feeling! My dad doesn't care at all, but my mother is super interested. My dad could care less if I got into like Stanford, he'd be like, "Where's that?" On top of that, he's refusing to pay ANYTHING for my college. Thank gosh for my grandmother being generous (gave me 90k), otherwise I'd be screwed. Although, my mom has saved like 40k for me too (got lucky on my mom's side).