Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

High School Class of 2020

Replies to: High School Class of 2020

• onthewestfenceonthewestfence Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    curious to know if anyone is getting college email solicitations since taking the psat last fall. if so, were you happy with your score? hoping to do much better when it counts next time?
  • MahindraMahindra Registered User Posts: 416 Member
    @onthewestfence Don't trust most of these emails. I read somewhere that colleges send those emails so more people will apply and most likely get rejected. This increases its selectivity which in turn allows it to climb the US News Rankings
    @Mahindra agree that most are spam but looking to see if anyone received a more personalized one, aka honors college, due to a NMSF-level score as a sophomore.
  • ForebodingForeboding Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    I'm getting tons of these emails and they're really irritating.

They don't mean anything anyway, just because you get an email from a school (let's say Princeton) it doesn't mean you suddenly have a shot there.

Take these with a grain of salt.
  • excovererexcoverer Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    @ab2002 I'm really sorry about your situation! Thank goodness your grandmother and mother are supporting you! Best of luck!

Have a good day!
  • MahindraMahindra Registered User Posts: 416 Member
  • ab2002ab2002 Registered User Posts: 619 Member
    @onthewestfence You're not going to get a message from a school about an honors program in sophomore year. You could have a 1.0 GPA and a 1500 PSAT and they wouldn't know that you had that 1.0 GPA. I have gotten spam emails from at least 30 schools in like the past 4 days, so that's great (not).
    @ab2002 USCarolina did mention honors college. one must presume that the scores were available to the schools and the email brought up the subject specifically, not simply state that it is another option for any and all to apply.

just attempting to see if the university's level of interest is based on the psat taken by a sophomore. did anyone else get one from USC that had the same template?
    @onthewestfence Sadly, I did not get anything from USC, sorry. I keep getting emails from places I have never heard of. Did anyone get any from their dream school?

Have a good day!
  • Microsoft_NinjaMicrosoft_Ninja Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    hey guys,

I want to delete my college board account (because I messed up some scores freshman year), but the problem is I'm wondering if it's ok that my psat score will be gone too. Will colleges care that I don't have a sophomore psat score?
    @Microsoft_Ninja You can't just trash official test scores. Your PSAT score for sophomore year means NOTHING. Literally nothing. Again, if you took the ACT freshman year or got AP scores, you can't just delete your account each time you mess up.
  • HS studentHS student Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    I haven't posted on this forum in FOREVER but I'm in the same situation with the spam emails! Most of the emails I've gotten have been as if they were following a template. At first I was excited to get college mail, but now they're just annoying. Most of them go something like this:
    "Dear <name>, we're impressed with you! We're always looking for talented, hard workers like you. Click here to confirm your information and we'll send you our complimentary guide, 6 Tips for College Success. Don't forget to click here!
    -Admission Director"
    I made the mistake of requesting a booklet from the first email I received of this format. Didn't give them any information, besides my email, which they already had, though. Might I add that they never sent the "guide" I'd requested either. Anyway, it's just been a bit annoying, but nothing that I'm going to get all worked up over.
    @Microsoft_Ninja I agree with @ab2002 . Freshmen and sophomore PSATs do not mean anything. DO NOT delete your College Board account. Not only will it lead to consequences, it's not worth it, even if you were to get a really bad SAT score.

Best of luck and have a good day!
    Omg, same! I've gotten that same email and I clicked on the link by accident and now they're sending me random stuff! I've gotten 15 college spam emails in the past three days from random schools like Allegheny College.
  • ForebodingForeboding Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    The worst part is when the same colleges keep resending emails.

I've gotten upwards of (and I'm not even joking here) 7 emails from the same college.