Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

High School Class of 2020

Replies to: High School Class of 2020

• trumpetmathgeektrumpetmathgeek Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    @goneaway I found it pretty easy as a self-study, but the difficulty probably depends on the context in which it is taught. I wouldn't drop foreign language for it because 4 years of the same foreign language is a more standard recommendation from many universities.
  • collegeready33collegeready33 Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    Sooo I have a question this may be a stupid one. I've been writing a book and am in the process of trying to publish it, not for college applications, but reading and writing has just been something that has been a passion of mine. When I apply to colleges I will be applying for Majors in STEM, and I have an interest in AI, Computational Biology, and Mechanical Engineering. Would including that I wrote a book harm my application?
  • katherineh4katherineh4 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    edited May 2018
    @collegeready33 I highly doubt that will harm your application at all because it shows a wide range of interests as writing is such a fundamental skill to use! It also shows dedication towards publishing something, seriously, it’s a great accomplishment.
    Did any of you take the AP Psych exam? I honestly felt so... indifferent to it. I didn’t have a good teacher this year at all and I procrastinated to the max on self studying so I ended up cramming the whole course work in a week. I don’t have good experience AP testing either because I have mad testing anxiety. Oh well, it is what it is
  • ab2002ab2002 Registered User Posts: 640 Member
    @collegeready33 No, actually. At MIT, there are a lot of students who are interested in various subjects. You can often see students playing instruments, doing magic, etc. Writing a book is something that not a lot of students do, so I would definitely include that.

@katherineh4 I did take it. I did not think it was too bad. There were a few concepts that I literally had no clue about. That is how it is for everyone, though. I suspect that I will get a 4 or maybe a 5.
  • excovererexcoverer Registered User Posts: 616 Member
    @collegeready33 You’re writing a book? Me too! That is really awesome! Good luck!

Have a good day!
    @ab2002 Yeah, it was definitely easy on some MC questions, and others I had no clue about. I managed to guess my way out of some I think, but it’s cool that you think you did good!
  • collegeready33collegeready33 Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    @katherineh4 @ab2002 thanks guys! @anthonytheboy that’s so cool! Good luck!
  • ps1kdps1kd Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    @collegeready33 It will only harm your application if you also add a ton of other insignificant activities such as clubs you went to twice and contributed little to. If you have lots of activities like that, it is best to list at most maybe 5 activities you spent a significant amount of time doing and had serious interest in because colleges want to see that you have passions rather than just being a joiner. Writing a book definitely is a serious interest and is something you spent a significant time on so it should not hurt your application.
    Do you guys have those friends who do not want to listen to your advice, lol. I keep telling my friends they need more involvement to get into the schools they want to get into (they are in two clubs), and they tell me that they will be fine. I think the interesting thing about this website, for us, is that we are pretty skilled in the college game. I think a lot of us have strong plans and reasonable expectations. I haven’t seen anyone with a 3.3 and a 25 ACT shooting for like Dartmouth, so I think we are pretty stable.
    @katherineh4 I may have gotten a 5, actually. Obviously, I can’t be 100% sure, because I don’t know if I got a 78/100 or higher. I feel like I got a 5/7 or 6/7 on both of the FRQs.
  • ps1kdps1kd Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    @ab2002 2 clubs or activities can be enough to get into any school with the right conditions. My friend this year is headed to Harvard and his only extracurriculars were a few clubs which he did not receive any major awards in and the cross-country team which he used to fulfill a requirement. Some special circumstances which can help overcome a lack of extracurriculars are: near-perfect-test scores, being black or Hispanic, being a first-generation college student, or being from a feeder school. My friend had near perfect scores and grades and our school could be considered a feeder(6 kids each year out of 300 at a public school get into Harvard). So it shows you do not need incredible extracurriculars to get into a good school.
    edited May 2018
    I agree with @Max147. I get why you are saying this @ab2002 and while doing more clubs can help you, they are looking more for quality over quantity.

Have a good day!
    edited May 2018
    @Max147 They are both white, not first-generation, middle class, and we go to a public school. They also hold no leadership positions. I extremely disagree with your statement about not having incredible extracurriculars. Your friend is a rare exception. Harvard has more than enough people with near perfect test scores and grades. In fact, about 10,000 of the students who applied to Princeton were more than qualified to attend. I quote from one of your posts, "My tests scores will be about the same but my ECs don’t stack up at all". It sounds like you are making excuses for something that you lack. @anthonytheboy Two clubs is not enough. Doing an internship and being a general member in MUN is not going to get you into Harvard or any top 15 school, unless you blow your test scores and grades out of the water, and you have a hook.
    edited May 2018
    @ab2002 You've got a point, but most people in Ivy Leagues have a hook, which is why they're not a part of many clubs. I do get your concerns for your friends, though. I used to have a good friend who had Princeton as his safety school....... he still has it as his safety.

Have a good day!