Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Hi there! You may have noticed things have changed on this site. You can learn more about that here.

High School Class of 2020

Replies to: High School Class of 2020

• phanakinphanakin Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Hello everyone! I hope everyone's been doing alright (especially in the middle of AP testing week).

Last week, the writing scores were released for the ACT I took, and I somehow managed to get a 12! With a 36C and a 12 on the essay, that's one thing off my chest.

Just this morning, I took the APUSH test. Many people, both in my school and online, are talking about how easy it was, but I personally feel very troubled and unconfident about it, so we'll see if I manage to pass, with the curve stacking up like it looks like it's going to. I'll be taking the Calc BC exam next Tuesday.

Again, I hope everyone's doing well.
  • wydlifewydlife Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Hi @phanakin! Congrats on your ACT score, your school allows you to take it as a sophomore or was it a practice test?

Also, from what the seniors are telling me about the APUSH exam, is that it was somewhat difficult to them. I'm sure you did your best but I didn't realize that AP exams give curves?

Good luck on your calc BC exam.
  • mjt182mjt182 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    edited May 13
    While this talk about EC's is going on, I would like to echo what @anthonytheboy has already said:

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.

There are so many identical applications - 4.7 GPA, Key Club, Debate Club, it's all the same. And I'm not saying joining these clubs are a bad thing, but MANY people sign up because it's what "they" want to see. Stop thinking about what "they" want!! Start doing what you love. What do you care about? What do you love doing?

Be unique. Be YOU and stop doing things soley for college apps. And heck, you don't have to join clubs if it's not your thing. Do you enjoy making origami animals for kids? Saving dolphins? Selling balloon animals?

Do these sound silly? These are ALL things students in the past have done, and yes, they made it into the top schools. Delve into your interests. Dig deep, not wide.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 34,316 Super Moderator
    edited May 13
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: Per the Terms of Service, CC is not a debate site. I had to delete quite a few posts. Please be careful with how you post.
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
  • anthonytheboyanthonytheboy Registered User Posts: 495 Member
    edited May 13
    @MaineLonghorn My apologies. Thanks for bringing this up.

@mjt182 And I completely agree with you! Your post was very good!

Have a good day!
    @wydlife Thank you so much! I didn't take the ACT through the school (because that's for juniors only), but I signed up for it through act.org and took it through a third-party testing center. Also, I believe AP tests are curved depending on how people do/how difficult it is? Because the boundaries for a 4 or 5 differ from year to year? I may be wrong though!
    edited May 13
    @phanakin I think my post where I congratulated was deleted, so I'd like to send my congratulations on your great ACT score again! That's awesome!

In terms of AP exams, it depends on each AP exam and when people take it, but you can get a good idea on your possible score from past AP exams from the site: http://appass.com/calculators/home
    It is true that the curve is based on how well people do.

Have a good day!
  • Max147Max147 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    @phanakin the curve is generally pretty stable
  • ab2002ab2002 Registered User Posts: 527 Member
    Guys, what do I do about toxic friends?
    @ab2002 just not be friends? I mean if they really are toxic.
    Did anyone else take AP Bio today? I thought it was easier than the practice tests so I was wondering what everyone else thought about it just to get a sense of the curve.
    @ab2002 I'm really sorry you're going through this. Times like these are very tough, and I can relate heavily. I suffered from toxic friendships quite often, and I know how terrible of a feeling it is. My best tip for when you are surrounded by friends like this is to first re-evaluate yourself. It may be strange, but sometimes thinking about who you are and what you want to be can help you decide what is best for you and what you want to accomplish in your life. Secondly, try to talk to someone you trust. It can be a good and wonderful friend who is not one of those people who you described, a trusted adult, or your parents and/or other family members. Third, if you ever feel sad, feel sad. Whenever you're alone, it's okay to, talk it out and/or write in a journal or on paper about your feelings. Even if you are talking to something that is not real, releasing your emotions and accepting them is a great help.

Lastly, if they keep being toxic, try to politely find ways to spend less time with them. One way you could this is if you eat lunch with them, try finding another table to sit at. Try spending time with your good friends, if you have any, and let them know what is happening without insulting your toxic friends too much. Block your friends from text messages and avoid believing them too much in what they say.

There is so much more I can tell you, so if you need anything, feel free to DM me, if you'd like more. I hope this helped. I hope you remember that out of the people who have existed, do exist, and will exist, there will only be one "you". I hope there's some way you can get out of this situation and maybe even learn something from it as sometimes, it's moments like these where we show our best selves and the people closest to us show how close they are to us.

Have a good day!
    Calc BC was a killer today. I both desperately want and fear July 9th's coming.

@anthonytheboy Thank you so so much!!!! That's very sweet of you. Also, thank you for the clarification on the curves as well!

@ab2002 I recommend a transition to a safer friends group? It's daunting to cut off friends, no matter how toxic, if you don't have other people to support you.
  • ab2002ab2002 Registered User Posts: 527 Member
    edited May 15
    @phanakin They aren't toxic to me, but they talk bad about a lot of other people. As I am getting more and more involved in the school and student government, I am just not sure if I want that around me. I wish you luck on your Calc BC score! I have AP Euro on Friday, and I am very nervous, because my teachers (excluding AP teachers) do not understand that I have these humongous exams that I actually have to study for. I have a math test tomorrow, and my teacher is making us take a test on Friday.
  • trumpetmathgeektrumpetmathgeek Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    One AP exam left for me this year :)