Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

High School Class of 2020

Replies to: High School Class of 2020

• ab2002ab2002 Registered User Posts: 618 Member
    I think I flopped on my first try, lol. When I took the PACT as a freshman, I scored a 28, so I was a bit confused when I got a 1230 on my PSAT.
  • excovererexcoverer Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    @ab2002 Congrats on your PSAT score increase!

@needtosucceed27 I feel you on the colleges part. My top school is one of the Ivy Leagues, so I completely understand, except I plan on going into the humanities instead of STEM. I'm sure you will do well in Pre-Calc, though. From what I've heard, it's mostly Algebra 2 with new content, so if you brush up on Algebra 2, and make sure you take your time when learning Pre-Calc, you'll be okay. I feel you on Geometry as well. I can not understand it. The only thing I liked from the class were proofs.

Have a good day!
    I am surprised that I haven’t hit the “block” everyone says that you hit in math. I got a 99 both semesters in Honors Geometry, and I got a 96 first semester in Honors Algebra II. I am kind of scared for next year, though. Honors Precalc is renowned as difficult at my school.
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot Registered User Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    @ab2002 Precalc was supposed to be pretty hard at my school, too. Use Khan Academy over the summer and you'll be fine.
    Precalc was actually (to date) the only math class in which I got 100s on almost everything :) so don't sell yourself short!
  • goneawaygoneaway Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    I am super late but my schedule next year is:
    American gov/econ
    Spanish 4 (school doesn't do honors foreign language)
    AP Lang
    Honors PreCalc
    Honors Physics
    Interdisciplinary Studies III
    Honestly scared for precalc even though math is my best subject, all my upperclassman friends at my magnet program says s\the teacher goes way too fast and doesn't explain well
  • goneawaygoneaway Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    @ab2002 congrats on your psat score I flopped on psats like a 1240 then 1260.
  • needtosucceed27needtosucceed27 Registered User Posts: 434 Member
    @anthonytheboy Oh I see. If you're going into humanities, then your math grades won't matter as much :). Thanks for the advice, and I do plan on going over Algebra II over the summer to make sure that I won't struggle again next year haha
  • ps1kdps1kd Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    @awesomepolyglot it’s different at each school so just because it was easy at your school doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be easy for @ab2002 although it is true that kids often exaggerate stuff. For example the precalc class at my school was rumored to be incredibly tough and it was. The sophomores in the class who get As are MIT and Harvard level, and the kids with 70s in the class end up with 780s on the Sat Math 2, and nobody gets below 750.
  • excovererexcoverer Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    @needtosucceed27 Yeah, best of luck! :)

@ab2002 At my school, kids complain a lot about all the honors and AP math courses, but I've heard the most amount of complaints with Honors Pre-Calculus, so I don't think you're alone on that.

Have a good day!
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot Registered User Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    @Max147 I know! I'm just saying that reputations aren't always true.
    I think that generally, and this refers to everyone here, get the best grades and test scores you can get and roll with it. I've just come to terms that I am trying my best, and that's all that I can do. I'm also not going to rely on this website anymore for advice, because generally speaking, I have found that this website puts unrealistic expectations on students, and the whole culture is quite pessimistic (kind of influencing me). I am a realist, but most of the people who are chancing others, me included, are not qualified to be telling people whether or not they have a chance at school. Anyone with brain cells can look at admission statistics and say that a 32 is low for Harvard. I will continue to talk on this thread, though. @Max147 I don't think that @awesomepolyglot ever said that.
  • nme2002nme2002 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    hi guys, i'm new here. @ab2002 is emory your top school? just wondering because it's one of my top schools as well and idk if i'm too dumb/unqualified to get accepted.
    edited May 27
    @nme2002 Hi! Welcome to College Confidential. Emory is definitely one of my tops. I am not going to lie, I also fell in love with Vanderbilt when I visited. My regional officer is absolutely awesome, so it is honestly up in the air. My mother also went to Tulane, so that could be in my list of schools. My counselor also told me that NYU wanted to keep in touch with me and exchange information. Actually, I'll just share my entire list! Everyone can take a look.

Emory
    Vanderbilt
    Notre Dame
    Georgetown
    Georgia Tech (if I go into stats)
    University of Florida
    OSU
    Miami of Ohio
    Case Western
    Tulane
  • nme2002nme2002 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    edited May 27
    @ab2002 that’s cool. i’m in TN and my mom wants me to go to vanderbilt, besides my brother graduated from there and to my knowledge i’m eligible for legacy. i really wanna go out of state which is why washu, georgia tech and emory are my top schools. in july i’m doing a summer program at georgia tech and i’m visiting emory. i’m just worried that i’m not the type of student to be going to those types of schools. i make good grades but i’m lazy :/ that just makes me as good as someone who makes mediocre grades but exercises good study habits.
  • ps1kdps1kd Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    @ab2002 I just got the impression from @awesomepolyglot that he was saying your class would be easier than expected but it varies from school to school