Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
student10189student10189 Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
So I got an internship at a prestigious university this summer in the chemical and biomedical lab. Since I am interested in biology and bioengineering as a future career, I thought I would intern in a biomedical department. Instead, I got an internship in the chemical department and found the specific studies that were going on in the chemistry department were more interesting than the biomedical ones, so I stayed in chemical and petroleum engineering. Will this in any way hurt my chances as getting into future biology summer programs, or a bio-engineering major in the future?

Replies to: Help!

• pinklinkspinklinks Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    It won't impact your major opportunities too much, since most colleges don't expect students to stick with intended major throughout college. I don't think it'll matter too much for summer programs either; at least you have an internship in the science field.
  • yonceonhismouthyonceonhismouth Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    Not at all. Colleges would like to see you exploring during high school- you don't have to commit to a major in high school.
    Also, it won't hurt your chances for summer programs- summer programs are designed for exploring your interests, and most kids have many of those.
This discussion has been closed.