Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

High School Class of 2021

Replies to: High School Class of 2021

• wontonandricewontonandrice Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    edited October 4
    @chrysalism Thank you so much! The deadline for making clubs has passed but I can probably make a Bio Olympiad club next year.
    Also, I'm curious as to how you all study for it. I don't think I will do it this year, since it might be too late to study. The idea of memorizing Campbell's seems pretty intimidating to me.
  • chrysalismchrysalism Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    @wontonandrice No prob! And I mean, you don't have to have a club for your school to administer the Bio Olympiad exam. If you can get a teacher to proctor it, and you can pony up the school registration fee (pretty sure it's $95 - which, if you can find 5 or so other people interested in taking the exam that are willing to split the cost with you, is a fairly manageable fee), there's no reason that you couldn't just set up one day to administer the test and be done with it.

TBH, it's never too late to start studying - worst case scenario is that you end up extra prepared for next year. If you read a chapter a day of Campbell's, that'd only take you a little over two months and would technically teach you all the information you need to know to do well enough to at least make semifinals (of course you'd need to study and re-study the information in order to retain it, but it can be done). Takes some dedication, but it's by no means impossible.

In order to make finals, you'd probably need to do some reading outside Campbell's; Raven's Biology of Plants is a text that's pretty much universally recommended, and you'd want to learn some extra stuff about biochemistry and anatomy (people recommend Alberts' Molecular Biology of the Cell, but IMO that's suuuuuuuper dense and you can find the info presented elsewhere in a more coherent manner). And of course, whether you're aiming for semifinals, finals, or what have you, taking a lot of practice tests (which can be found online) is always a good idea.

I'm actually copresident of my school's Bio Oly club if you have any other questions. (There's also a USABO thread full of people way more qualified to answer your questions than I am lmaooooo)
    @chrysalism Usually, one studies for around an hour or a chapter per day right? I've heard bad stuff about not having a life from doing USABO and that worries me a lot. Is it a hefty time commitment or is it just 7hrs/wk like I mentioned?
    Also, does anybody know if AP BiologyX by RiceX is good?
  • wistfulwordswistfulwords Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    I'm a little bummed because the results from the MUN tryouts came out today and only my best friend got a spot but not me...
  • birdbearbirdbear Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Is anyone doing the International public policy forum? I'm doing for the first time and my team started late.
  • whoknowswhere25whoknowswhere25 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Anyone take the PSAT today?
    Yup. It went pretty well.
  • clo2021clo2021 Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    It was easier than I expected.
  • zombiekidzombiekid Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    The psat memes though
    We took the Pre-ACT today, it was fairly easy. I'm thinking of doing it instead of the SAT.
  • chrysalismchrysalism Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    edited October 10
    I took it as well! IMO it felt easier than past PSAT's I've taken - the testing room was so cold though and I forgot to bring a snack :(

@wontonandrice The ACT and SAT are pretty much the same level of difficulty with some slight differences (the SAT essay has you analyze a passage while the ACT essay has you come up with independent thoughts, the SAT has a no calculator section while the ACT doesn't, the SAT gives you fewer answer choices on MC questions, etc). The only thing is that if you're looking for a National Merit scholarship, you have to take the SAT - your PSAT score is the determining factor, but taking the SAT as well is a requirement for applying for the scholarship.
    @zombiekid I agree that the memes are great.
  • stanford200381stanford200381 Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    Yeah I took it yesterday. I expected it to be harder.