Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP Calc BC?

okineedhelpokineedhelp Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
edited May 2017 in High School Life
So I took AP Calc AB this year, and I made a high A and probably made a 5 on the AP exam. As a senior next year, should i take BC? AB was a little stressful, and I am sure BC is too. Right now I have 2 free periods that I will most likely use for college apps. Should I give up one free period to take BC? I just wonder if it matters because I am hoping to get into an Ivy League so will BC give me good credit compared to AB? So far it seems that most schools give some credit for BC but it doesn't seem like that much more than AB will get me. I am not going to major in anything math either so advice????????

Replies to: AP Calc BC?

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 36,740 Super Moderator
    I am hoping to get into an Ivy League
    Then you should probably not have 2 free periods. And you should have a math class.
    will BC give me good credit compared to AB?
    It depends upon the college. Some colleges give no credit for any AP exams. But if they do give credit for BC, they will give less credit for AB. Every Ivy League's AP policies is on their website.
  • okineedhelpokineedhelp Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
  • agentaquastaragentaquastar Registered User Posts: 348 Member
    edited June 2017
    You definitely need a math class and shouldn't have more than 1 free block. I took bc this year and struggled quite a bit 2nd sem, but I don't consider myself a great math student or an Ivy hopeful... Nevertheless, if you did fine in AB (I also got a 5 on the exam) then the 1st sem of bc is just the same material but accelerated. I think the problem I had mostly stemmed from the accumulated work of other classes and the lack of effort I put into bc. 1st sem was all review so I didn't have to try at all, but when 2nd sem hit I was lost. Are you taking a lot of hard classes with bc? Make sure you keep up with the workload all year long and you should be fine. Although I didn't have enough time to devote to bc so I don't think I did well on the exam... As you probably know, it all comes down to how you manage your time and study.
    Also, even if you don't manage to get credit, all colleges like to see you continue to challenge yourself by taking difficult classes senior year.
  • okineedhelpokineedhelp Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Is being in the IB program not considered difficult enough?
    If you're in the IB Diploma Programme, then that's something you should have mentioned at the outset, because then you're fine.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 2,947 Senior Member
    At our HS, you can take only AB or BC, but not both.
    At our HS, you can take only AB or BC, but not both.
    That varies by HS. Schools that allow both generally only teach the BC topics (with a quick AB review) in BC, and require AB as a prerequisite. Every HS can set up its classes as it sees fit, so long as the College Board approves the syllabus.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 2,947 Senior Member
    @skieurope -

Thanks, actually the way our HS works is that students who are on the honors track take a course in junior year that leads into BC but is not AB. AB is for students who have dropped out of the honors track before 11th grade and take pre-calc in junior year with the non-honors seniors. Students who don't go into BC after honors in 11th grade go into AP stats or just don't take math senior year. They are not permitted to take AB. From my reading on CC, this seems like a different approach from many other schools.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,213 Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    Op, you need a math class and if you took AB junior year and got a good grade, you'd be expected to take BC unless you're certain you dont want a stem major, in which case any math class will do and you'll be expected to show strength through other subjects at the advanced level.
    However if you're in IB I'm guessing you ARE taking math, and in this case I don't quite understand your question - whether you're taking math SL or HL, you should be good.
    Did you take AB *on top of* IB math? In that case you don't need any extra math class this year.
  • RelicAndTypeRelicAndType Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member

Are you taking Math HL? If so, you should be okay. If not, you need a math class if you are interested in Ivies. In any case, two free periods seems like a bad idea.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,759 Senior Member
    What schools are you applying for? (e.g., College of Arts and Sciences, Engineering, Nursing, business etc.)

What subject tests are you planning to take?
  • tangentlinetangentline Registered User Posts: 1,116 Senior Member
    Depends on the school:
    AB -> Calculus I
    BC -> Calculus II

If you're an engineer it'll save you one semester on prerequisites so you can go straight to the Calculus based physics courses then to the actual engineering courses.
  • gopgalgopgal Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    Take BC. I took AB before BC because that's how my school does it and AB made BC feel a lot easier than AB. the concepts are about 60 percent the same only a little harder.
This discussion has been closed.