Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is world Civilization hard in college? Should I consider other social science classes?

SuperGeo5999SuperGeo5999 Registered User Posts: 519 Member
I'm a community college student taking world Civilization I next semester because it seemed like the most interesting social science class to take to fulfill my social/behavioral science elective other than Economics and American History. I took geography but didn't take world Civilization in high school, thought geography was easy, and know world Civilization is kind of like geography but teaches from more from a history/timeline context rather than a region/map context. It seems interesting learning how our world, cultures, and modern society have evolved. I thought taking this class would expand my social studies knowledge since I've never taken this class! American History on the other hand, might be nice to learn especially the stuff I haven't learned since elementary or middle school because it goes into way more depth than middle school or elementary school history and don't remember much from that time because it's been so long. Economics, I didn't like in high school because I didn't like the teacher and made us do pointless stuff but know in college most of the time it isn't like that because your paying to attend there and I take the saying you get what you pay for because of the poor quality of education I got from my high school economics class. i do like Economics in general especially when it comes to macro and topics such as unemployment, Inflation and GDP. Would MacroEconomics be hard with somewhat of a struggle i had in high school Economics?

Replies to: Is world Civilization hard in college? Should I consider other social science classes?

• momtogirls2momtogirls2 Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member

My daughter is just finishing her junior year of high school and took dual enrollment World Civilization II (later time period) this past semester. She isn't on cc but she is home right now and giving me info. She had to do at least two 1 page journal entry's each week on a news article from a specific area of the world. She said it couldn't be the US, Canada or certain parts of Europe. She had a book with copies of first hand documents that was used often and a big part of writing papers. She had to write 3 papers each around 5 pages. The hard part was the info had to come from the class lectures and the first hand documents book only. The final had 7 essay questions and you had to answer 5 of them. It was more of understanding what was going on in an area and how it fit into what was going on in the world than it was memorizing facts. Her professor would mark down grades if attendance wasn't good and participation was expected during class lectures.

This was an entry level community college class open to anyone. There were some other assignments that were not collected or graded. However not doing them only affects your true understanding. There were readings from both the textbook and the documents book that were necessary if you wanted to be able to participate in the class discussions. My daughter didn't find the class hard but also didn't find it to be a simple A.

If you've never had American History in high school (it is required for high school graduation here) I would suggest that. Many people take economics in college who never had it in high school so there is no reason you can't take it in college starting from scratch. I'm sure it is different at your school but World Civ counts as a history elective not a social/beh elective at dd's community college. DD took World Civ to meet her high school Modern World History requirement.
  • Bobbybob444555Bobbybob444555 Registered User Posts: 367 Member
    All colleges are different. Speak to students that go to your college.
  • SuperGeo5999SuperGeo5999 Registered User Posts: 519 Member
    edited May 2017
    @momtogirls2 yes i've taken American History and Economics in High school but thought I might learn more in them at the college level because they go into more depth. In American history 1, the studies go from the beginning of america to 1800s and I haven't studied that since middle school and elementary school. in college it would go into way more depth than middle or elementary school. I did not learn enough in high school economics because of the teacher and i'm not blaming the teacher but he did almost get fired for his lack of teaching.
    Is world Civilization fun?
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    Your asking a question that no one can answer. What is fun for one person may be boring for another person. It also depends a lot on how the professor teaches and if it matches a style that you find fun. Don't worry about what others find fun. Also not every course has to be fun or will be fun. The requirements stem from a college deciding what they think is important to a well rounded education combined with what they feel is important for a degree in a major.

Since your at a community college you won't be taking all the classes in your major that are needed for a Bachelor's degree. However even if you went directly to a 4 year school that school would have its own set of required classes outside of the major. Not all classes are going to interest everyone. That is not the goal of college. When you have choices yes it is great to take the class that interests you but don't stress about it. You may take something you don't know much about and find you love the class.
    My program advisor of Pre-Engineering at my community college reccomends taking Principles of microeconomics to fulfill my other social science requirement because Economics has to do with Engineering.
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 688 Member
    Difficulty of classes depends on the student's study skills, attendance, motivation, completion of papers and assignments, keeping up with and comprehension of reading and so on. We tend to major in areas in which we do well and enjoy and avoid areas we find boring. Each of us brings pluses and minuses to school and willingness to stretch ourselves in areas that are seen as difficult. For example, I totally loved math and statistics, but there wasn't enough money in the universe to take business and marketing classes.
    edited June 2017
    I'm taking world Civilization II In the fall and principles of microeconomics in the spring. Should I take principles of macroeconomics and world civilization I as well? am I missing out on anything if I don't take any of these classes? I only need two social science courses for my degree but would like more social science.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,963 Senior Member
    You need to meet with your adviser and create a plan so you can graduate on time. You don't want to eat through your financial aid.
    @austinmshauri I already have a plan approved by my advisor.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,963 Senior Member
    Are macro & World Civ I on it?
    No but i was thinking if I had any maximum time frame hours left by the last semester or summer before transferring at community college that I might take some electives such as wold civ I or macroeconomics.
    Or I could take them at the University I transfer to.
    edited June 2017
    If I transfer into Purdue Agriculture I will need 15 credit hours of social science courses but one will have to be at the 3000+ level and my Communtiy college doesn't offer 3000 level or higher courses. What would be a good 3000 level course to take when I transfer?
    I'm taking world Civilization II this semester and the essay Questions on tests are kind of hard.