Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What Summer Job? Kids Would Rather Get a Foot in the Door at a Big Company

Replies to: What Summer Job? Kids Would Rather Get a Foot in the Door at a Big Company

• snowfairy137snowfairy137 Registered User Posts: 1,857 Senior Member
    @Chembiodad But internships also serve that purpose.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,642 Senior Member
    Yes, internships that provide compensation are best.
  • snowfairy137snowfairy137 Registered User Posts: 1,857 Senior Member
    @Chembiodad Which are most internships these days cause of labor laws. The general rule is that if you're doing something that the company has to pay someone else to do otherwise they have to pay you.
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,642 Senior Member
    edited July 11
    Yup, money is good - all denominations
  • JasmineArmaniJasmineArmani Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
  • acomfysofaacomfysofa Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    When you compare fast food to the something like the Stark internship, it's no doubt people would prefer the latter ;)
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 1,669 Senior Member
    edited July 13
    Interestingly enough, the only people my D knows who are "working" this summer are CITs at the summer camps they were campers at for years. Everyone else seems to be doing summer programs at places like Brown or having international experiences in places like Peru or Japan. If not, they are traveling with family. Times have sure changed. We don't know one kid with a regular summer job. Kind of sad. It never even crossed my mind for my D to find a summer job, because like everyone else, I thought she should do something enriching and exciting. Guilty as charged.
  • amom2girlsamom2girls Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    My daughter is a rising senior (high school) and every one of her friends who wants a job has one. My daughter applied and went through multiple interviews to attain a paid summer internship. It is a program in Philadelphia for rising juniors, seniors and college freshmen. Her friends are also in this program or camp counselors, life guards, hostesses, waitresses, valets and an assortment of shop attendants. We do live in a large city, so that may make a difference. A lot of kids will travel with family, but that is for standard 2 week vacations, not all summer. My daughter also has 2 different dance Summer Intensives. One at the beginning of summer and one at the end before we take a vacation.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 8,228 Senior Member
    Most paid internships seem to be offered to rising seniors at college or sometimes rising juniors. Unpaid, that's another story, and basically volunteering.
  • HappyAlumnusHappyAlumnus Registered User Posts: 1,097 Senior Member
    Large-scale unskilled immigration to the US did not exist in 1978; it started only in the 1980s. That has also played a role. (Before calling me a racist, note that I am not a Republican and did not vote for Trump.)
  • elena83elena83 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    I'm a rising high school senior and got a job last summer at the local OfficeMax through a basic online application, and they hired me back again for this summer. Kids in my town usually don't get summer jobs like that, mostly because we live nearby a big university, so those unskilled jobs will typically be filled by college students rather than high schoolers. I got lucky. I wish other kids my age had the opportunity to have summer jobs like mine, as I've learned a lot of communication and interpersonal skills through it, as well as made some good money. Unfortunately, they're just too hard to come by these days, especially in my area.
  • inodiateinodiate Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Rising senior right now. Having a traditional summer job seems fun, but won't get me very far where I want to go (corporate administrative work). I was accepted into the Bank of America Student Leaders program, which would've paid me for doing work at a nonprofit for the summer. So, a summer job. I ended up declining my participation and am currently in a program that trains high schoolers to become young professionals. Should I complete summer training and earn my internship, I'll be matched to be an intern at a corporation, which I find much more appealing than working at a local diner or retail shop. Past alumni of this program have worked as assistants to CFOs at places like SumoLogic, Salesforce, etc. Recently they've been putting together cool networking opportunities where I was able to meet Google executives as well as some of their software engineers, lawyers, and recruiters.

Overall, I wouldn't be so quick to look at internships with disdain or hold summer jobs in a particularly higher regard. They're both wonderful opportunities to grow as a person, but it depends on their goals and intentions, as well as other aspects. Some people would benefit more from internships, while others benefit more from a typical summer job. I definitely lucked out by being born and raised in Silicon Valley, where internships are abundant albeit rather competitive, but I also know kids who are extremely happy working at places like iHop. One has never held a minimum wage job before but is currently taking a gap year in Germany learning about international relations by meeting with high-level politicians. Different strokes for different folks. :)
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection Registered User Posts: 1,852 Senior Member
    HS students have trouble committing to a summer job due to all the other demands on their time: ECs that do not announce their schedules far enough in advance, summer academic work, test prep, getting started on college applications, etc. DS16 never could fit in anything more than landscaping jobs in the neighborhood. Now that he is in college it is easier. However in engineering, Freshman college students have far fewer internship opportunities than upperclassmen. He was fortunate to be offered an opportunity to work as an electrician's apprentice. Not a traditional summer job or internship but he is working full time, learning a lot and it certainly will give him something to talk about in future interviews.
  • spinthatrecordspinthatrecord Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    I live in a fairly large city, so I have gotten a summer (and winter) job each time I have wanted one without trouble. Places in large towns are always hiring, and don't really care who they bring in. The only year of high school that I haven't been employed, in fact, was my freshman year when I was too young to work. Even then, however, I babysat and found other ways to earn extra money.

Personally, a trend I have seen with parents is that they don't want their kids to work. They want them spending their summers doing SAT prep, summer classes, volunteering, or doing summer leagues for sports or some other EC. They want their kids focusing on something other than work, and provide them with all of the money they need for shopping, entertainment, etc. They buy them their own cars, and pretty much make sure their kids don't have to really work towards anything other than making their high school resumes look spectacular. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, as every family is different, it just seems like times and attitudes are changing when it comes to teenagers working.

My dad was more old school, so as soon as I was old enough to work my founding for movies, trips to the mall, and even new clothes disappeared. If I want a car or a new cell phone, I am expected to save for it. This made me want a job pretty quickly, and frankly I am glad I got one. The time management, organizational, and customer service skills I learned earning minimum wage is more valuable to me than any of the EC's that I picked up. And honestly, I love working and knowing that everything I have is something I have saved for and that I have the capability to be independent. But at least around where I live, many people don't see summer or part time jobs as being necessary for their child. Again, there's really nothing wrong about it, times are just changing.
  • Ballerina016Ballerina016 Registered User Posts: 1,518 Senior Member
    Before this summer I didn't realize that finding internships after the freshman year at college is so challenging. Most of the internships are only offered to juniors and seniors. Most of the DD's classmates at MIT are working at labs this summer that pay minimum wage. It is challenging if you consider the cost of summer housing. Only CS rising sophomores were able to find internships that pay at junior software engineer range.