Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

A's on the rise in U.S. report cards, but SATs flounder

Replies to: A's on the rise in U.S. report cards, but SATs flounder

• collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 1,016 Senior Member
    @Alumon sorry...I meant those in the lower socioeconomic communities could be held back, not the higher...
  • AlumonAlumon Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Do you think that a new method of teacher evaluations and a universal grading scale should be implemented, then, in order to maintain consistency in terms of GPA?

@collegemomjam
    That might be a good solution.But the scale may not be the issue....I think the whole process if just so subjective, and probably needs to be. That's why we have these standardized tests, I suppose, to begin with.
  • Otter517Otter517 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    I think students are just getting too psycho about grades, and the teachers grade easier to avoid rebellion.
    I recently read Alexandra Robbins' book "Overachievers" and it told stories about students going to teachers and asking for their grades to be bumped up to an A. I was appalled.
    This is going too far. We just need to re-adjust how we view success in the classroom
    It is insane and we are causing these kids a lot of stress. I'm not sure how we can turn that around. I have three teenagers that are stressed about grades, getting in to college, and keeping grades up in college so that they have good career prospects. It's not even about being the "best"...it's about just doing enough so that they have career options so that they can one day support themselves.

I don't want to take this thread in the wrong direction. I just know in my community a lot of the fuss is about just making opportunities for themselves, not because all of these kids all want to get into Harvard. But I think @Otter517 you are right that things are going too far.
    Maybe we could try an education system without grades, like they do in Finland, which has the #1 education system in the world.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 1,429 Senior Member
    FInland is so far from being comparable to the USA that it is laughable.
    Huh, I saw something that said Finland had a good education system; I was wrong. Sorry.
  • glittervineglittervine Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    @Alumon You're not wrong. Finland is often ranked as having one of the top education systems in the world. The U.S. is typically not.
    FInland is a predominantly white country of @ 5 million people, no real military, average maternal age of over 25, and 53% taxation, social safety nets, educated majority, unemployment rate over over 8%. Pick a nice white rich state in the northeast and then compare,but only when you exclude lower SES and minority numbers. It is as much about what happens before school, before birth, as anything. It is completely incomparable to a country like the USA
    I never said anything about Finland's other aspects; I was only talking about their education system. Sure, I understand that you believe Finland is incomparable as a country to the US, but that is a totally different argument than disagreeing about the quality of Finland's education system.
  • MassDaD68MassDaD68 Registered User Posts: 1,321 Senior Member
    This article squares up to my gut check that I experienced this past admission season. My son had a weighted GPA of just over 4.0. To my old time thinking, this was great! But to my surprise, my son was only average. He did not qualify for the higher end scholarships. There was a whole sea of kids who had much higher GPA's. It was quite an eye opener.
    >>>>>I never said anything about Finland's other aspects;<<<<<<<<<

Le sigh.
    I think @Alumon raises a good point about Finland. We all know there are differences between all countries and that there is probably no apples to apples comparison to any country. But there is no denying that we could make some changes to improve our educational system (regardless of what that would do to our traditional grading system which seems to be inflated). Just like we can improve our health care and other things. There are always ways to improve and looking at a country like Finland might help us fix some of our own problems.