right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

A's on the rise in U.S. report cards, but SATs flounder

Dave_BerryDave_Berry 492 replies2563 threadsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
"The good news on America's report cards: More high school teachers are handing out A's. But the bad news is that students aren't necessarily learning more.

Recent findings show that the proportion of high school seniors graduating with an A average — that includes an A-minus or A-plus — has grown sharply over the past generation, even as average SAT scores have fallen.

In 1998, it was 38.9%. By last year, it had grown to 47%.

That’s right: Nearly half of America’s Class of 2016 are A students. Meanwhile, their average SAT score fell from 1,026 to 1,002 on a 1,600-point scale — suggesting that those A's on report cards might be fool's gold." ...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/07/17/easy-a-nearly-half-hs-seniors-graduate-average/485787001/
111 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: A's on the rise in U.S. report cards, but SATs flounder

• excovererexcoverer 650 replies31 threadsRegistered User Member
    This may be weird to say, but in my school, the amount of As given are actually dropping. I wonder exactly what variables are causing the national average of As to increase yet the average of As in my school to decrease....

Have a good day!
    · Reply · Share
  • mstompermstomper 1022 replies40 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I'd hate to see our kids' GPAs if A's weren't being handed out.:). Their SAT scores were both very strong. What does that mean for college success? S16, with a 1460, experienced a "failure to launch" his freshman year and is taking time to work and mull his options for the future. His brother, a rising senior, didn't score quite so well but doesn't have the problem with writing assignments his big brother has. The problem, by the way, is that he doesn't do them (he's getting help with that). My point is that those A's that kids are getting are probably an indication that these students are doing the work that's assigned.
    · Reply · Share
  • abeg19abeg19 6 replies6 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Maybe this is only in my school, which is really small to be fair, but it seems to be relatively easy to do well (A minus, low As) but difficult to excel, so the GPA range isn't all that big, but the quality in testing does have a much bigger range, and even regular essay quality is shocking seeing the grades. Kinda sad.
    · Reply · Share
  • APOLAPOL 1752 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    As a community volunteer who sits on a board reviewing scholarship applications, I have noticed the GPAs have not correlated to SAT scores. i wonder if the A's earned are reflective of that school's pool of students who are not necessarily the same caliber of A students at other schools. Ergo, the SATs can actually be helpful in determining the students ability to succeed. It makes me sad to think these students are being set up to fail because they are not getting the education they deserve. Its it the curriculum, the society, the individual, or combination thereof?
    · Reply · Share
  • CTTCCTTC 2176 replies132 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @APOL "As a community volunteer who sits on a board reviewing scholarship applications, I have noticed the GPAs have not correlated to SAT scores."

Similar situation here, and I've noticed the same thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2430 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    SATs are not going to move that much, they're scaled so the numbers are consistent year to year, so you wouldn't expect to see them increase or decrease all that much. When they do move it appears that they actually decrease. This is why in 1995 the college board changed the scaling so the average would be a 1000 from 900, they got some criticism that they showed US students looking worse relative to international students, so they adjusted upwards. I believe the new SATs may have similar average to the old 2400 (M & CR) but possibly more perfect or near-perfect scores.
    edited July 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • 4MyKidz4MyKidz 480 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't think the SAT is a good indicator of how well a student has learned throughout their time in school. Nor do I feel that an SAT score is a true indicator for how well a student will perform in college. SATs/ACTs are weeders. Public schools design State standards based curriculum to prepare their students to successfully pass their particular State exams. And there is no correlation between how well students perform on their state tests to how well students perform on the SAT. So how can we expect grades to correlate with SAT scores when they aren't supposed to? I have never been asked to design curriculum based on College Board Standards.
    edited July 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • mikemacmikemac 10331 replies150 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Meanwhile, their average SAT score fell from 1,026 to 1,002 on a 1,600-point scale — suggesting that those A's on report cards might be fool's gold." ..
    this is what might be termed fake news.

The College Board says that less than a 30 point difference in test scores is meaningless.

In 2005 Wikipedia reports "certain types of questions were eliminated (the analogies from the verbal and quantitative comparisons from the math section). The test was made marginally harder, as a corrective to the rising number of perfect scores. " It changed again in tests first given in 2016, Wikipedia writing "On March 5, 2014, the College Board announced its plan to redesign the SAT in order to link the exam more closely to the work high school students encounter in the classroom"

So put a meaningless score difference together with a test that has changed twice so that it only loosely resembles the tests given in 1998 and what can you conclude? Nothing...
    · Reply · Share