Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is this reasonable?

Otter517Otter517 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
I am an incoming high school freshman, and recently had the terrible idea to plan out all of the classes that I want to take junior and senior year. (junior year has 4 APs, senior year has 6, all other classes are honors). All I have done since making said plan is stress that I'm not taking enough APs, then turn around and think that I'm going to fail.

My school has 24 APs, and along with one from freshman year and three this year, I could take as many as 20 of them, which I would like to try, but would probably fail at.

Just as some background, I am at a very competitive school, one of the best in my state, and along with academics, I am a dedicated athlete, sometimes on as many as three teams at once ( high school swim team, club swim team, cross country). As for my own personal academic standing, I am not a phenomenal student, but I have a reputation for being one, despite my efforts to change this. Many people think that I am tope five in my class, while it is a stretch to think that I'm even top 20.

As much as I hate to admit it, this reputation is a large part of the reason that I want to take so many APs. I don't want to disappoint the people who believe in me, even if that belief is unfounded.

What should I do? Is it reasonable to take on a schedule like that?

Replies to: Is this reasonable?

• Otter517Otter517 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    *I'm not a freshman, I'm a sophomore :/
  • itsintheprocessitsintheprocess Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    First of all I would like to commend you for already having a strong game plan in how you want to approach highschool. However I do think it's a bit too premature to start completely stressing about whether your good enough. My highschool was quite similar to yours (our school has around 20 or so APs) and I ended up taking 13 by the time I graduated. I ended up taking one AP freshman year (the only one we were allowed to take) two Sophomore year, 4 junior year, and 6 senior year. However I do think you need to experience what an AP or two is like before you plan out the rest of your highschool life. I had a lot of friends who also wanted to take multiple APs but after taking one felt like they couldn't handle the workload. I also had friends who went from taking none freshman year to taking 7 Senior year. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you are an incoming freshman and you need to first learn how you can handle one AP with EC before you try to jump to conclusions and plan to take 4/5/6 APs.

If you take an AP and feel like you can handle it that's great. But if you feel like it's too much then there is no shame in just taking an honors class. I know you mentioned your friends and families expectations/beliefs but at the end of the day your friends/family won't be the ones reading your college applications. Admissions officers won't be impressed if you take a bunch of APs but do poorly in them. I think you should commend yourself for already focusing on your future, however I do think you need to experience freshman year/taking at least one AP fully before you go plan off your senior year. Your schedule is totally reasonable to me ( I basically had your exact schedule while doing many EC) however I won't be the one who takes the classes/ exams for you. You have to make the decision yourself to see if you can handle what you want to take on.
  • Otter517Otter517 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    @itsintheprocess thank you for your help! I'm going to see how sophomore year goes and then re-evaluate where I want to go from there