Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Violated an honor code in middle school. Should I explain this on my college application?

incompletenamincompletenam Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
"Have you ever violated an honor code, been dismissed or suspended from school, put on probation, or subjected to any legal disciplinary action?"
I have received two citations in my life. The one from elementary school, I went to the bathroom with no permission and my teacher got mad. The one from middle school, I made a mess in art class, the dismissal bell rung, and I left without completely cleaning up my mess. They're stupid, yes, but I technically still violated an honor code and received punishment. Do I still put this on my college application?

Replies to: Violated an honor code in middle school. Should I explain this on my college application?

• ski_racerski_racer Registered User Posts: 247 Junior Member
    Was the punishment suspension or probation?
  • incompletenamincompletenam Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    @ski_racer I received citations. Some people call them referrals. It's just a document they keep that says you got in trouble.
  • Otter517Otter517 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    Does your record even extend that far back? I thought that colleges didn't care how you were in middle and elementary ad long as you were good and successful in high school
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 31,342 Super Moderator
    I wouldn't mention it since it happened before high school. Don't sweat it.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 4,217 Senior Member
  • writer80writer80 Registered User Posts: 843 Member
    I agree with @MaineLonghorn I got a one-day lunch detention due to being involved in a verbal debate on the school bus. Since it was the last week of school and my record had been 100% perfectly clean before the incident, the lesson I learned is to 1.) think before you speak and 2.) I saw someone's true colors and that ultimately lead me to end our friendship, as they reported it to get attention, and because I lost all trust in them. So yes if it happened before high school, forget about it and move on because you were only like 10-13, not 18 and making childish choices. Best of luck to you! :)
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,569 Senior Member
    edited August 13
    Pays to read the actual question.

“Have you ever been found responsible for a disciplinary violation at any educational institution you have attended from the 9th grade (or the international equivalent) forward, whether related to academic misconduct or behavioral misconduct, that resulted in a disciplinary action?

See if your school even reports hs discipline. Some don't, per their policies.