Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What to do when you aren't doing well in a HS class

2»

Replies to: What to do when you aren't doing well in a HS class

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,262 Forum Champion
    Or ask for help...many HS have anti-bullying people on staff.
  • excovererexcoverer Registered User Posts: 568 Member
    @Hardlystudying and @bopper I highly agree with both. Bullying can completely stick with your life, so if it's happening to you, do not hesitate to get help. Things can get better, even if it may seem like it can't.

Have a good day!
  • steven02steven02 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I want to ask a question .... I came from Egypt just two months before joining junior high school year ..... I take bio/chem class but I feel like it is easy for me ( I had 2 years left at high school in Egypt) I talked with mu councelor and I can take AP Biology but I am afraid of not doing well in that class because the system is all new to me .... what should I do ?
    What science have you taken so far?
    The normal progression in US High Schools is Bio, then Chem, then Physics, and then AP science.

You could also Ask your councelor if you can take the AP Bio class but then drop back if it is too hard.
  • CadmissionsnerdzCadmissionsnerdz Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    rn i have a really bad teacher for French and he is so bad. Can i switch to Spanish 5 weeks in to the school year? Im nervous im asking my GC this tomm
    I am assuming you have taken SPanish 4?
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 421 Member
    To add to @bopper's list:

#15 Check your work, especially on tests and quizzes. It can make the difference between an A and a B.

#16 Do any and all extra credit problems, whether you need extra credit or not.

#17 Learn from your mistakes. When something is marked wrong, redo the problem and make sure you understand it. Math teachers often go over quizzes and tests in class. Pay attention during this time, especially to the problems or questions you got wrong. If you don't understand what you did wrong, ask. Chances are someone else in the class is wondering why they did it wrong too. Another reason to look over wrong answers carefully: the teacher's answer key may be wrong more often than you'd expect, especially if they're giving a test or quiz right out of a published teacher's companion guide to the textbook the kids are using. DD's entire class got a test question marked wrong a few years back when the answer key incorrectly pegged earthquakes as a cause of lava, not volcanos. There were 2-3 questions the answer key had wrong on just that one test, yet the parental grapevine confirmed that teacher used that same test and same incorrect answer key at least three years in a row. I guess as each class moved on to the next chapter, correcting the old one slipped her mind.

#18 (Related to #17) If comments on a term paper or essay seem vague or unclear to you, schedule time with the teacher when you can ask him or her to be more specific; ask exactly where and why you fell short if you don't already understand. If you accept your grade and move on, you miss the chance to improve in the future.
2»