Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Should I drop band?

physicsilovephysicsilove Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited November 21 in High School Life
I’ve already dropped AP Biology this year because of the workload. Now, I would like to drop band because I’m not motivated to improve on the clarinet anymore. I can’t be better at it. If I drop band, then my schedule would have 2 off periods. AP Bio is replaced with AP Psychology. How would colleges look at this? I’m looking at MIT, Caltech, and the Ivy League. I would like to spend more time on my STEM ECs in my off periods.

My current schedule:
Band
AP Psychology
AP Physics C
AP Gov
AP Physics 2
AP English literature
Off period

Replies to: Should I drop band?

• fightingdragonzfightingdragonz Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    In my opinion, if you are not happy, you should drop band. Becoming unmotivated and dreading going to band everyday will just screw you over in the end. Is there a semester class that you can replace band with next semester? I.e. dropping band, having a study the rest of the semester, and then next semester taking a semester class?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 27,816 Super Moderator
    edited November 22
    How would colleges look at this?
    In context? They'd probably wonder why you chose to build such an unbalanced schedule in the first place with 2 social sciences and 2 sciences and no foreign language or math. As well as they would be questioning the rationale for taking duplicative classes like AP Physics 2 and AP Physics C concurrently. The decision to keep/drop band is minor in comparison.
    Post edited by skieurope on