Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Award 2018

Replies to: NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Award 2018

• e2001e2001 Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    Honorable mentions have not been notified! Stay tuned! And I heard that only 40 out of 10,000 girls were picked for national winners so it was a record breaking application season! Congrats to everyone who was picked you are all incredible!
  • MirandarwallaceMirandarwallace Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    That's amazing! Do you know when honorable mentions will be notified? @e2001
  • MangoLover11223MangoLover11223 Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    I don’t think all the results have been released yet… it still says my application is waiting for review? Can someone confirm? Also do different states have different times of application award releases or is it all at the same time?
    “ Notifications for the National Award are sent out in early January and notifications for the Regional Affiliate Award are sent by mid February, 2018. The award ceremonies take place from January through May of the following year.”

That’s what it says on the website so I’m not sure about how people are getting emails yet? Unless I’m mistaken of course.
  • mjioa9mjioa9 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Yeah, I'm confused too... Last year I know they notified the winners in mid-December. Does anyone who applied last year know if that date matched what they had on their website?
    @jess13221 what application number are you?

Just wondering... does anyone know if your application number has an effect on when you get notified in general? I logged into my aspiration account and it said my application is still waiting for review. Can people check if their application is also in line for review? The website kind of implies that some apps haven’t even been looked at yet.
    I'm number #313 and still waiting for review.
    @Mirandarwallace I’m #760 still waiting for review
  • Bookgal12Bookgal12 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    I am 100% sure the national winners have been picked. My friend was a national honorable mention last year and was definitely notified before the new year (I'm pretty sure December 21stish). My application is still awaiting review but that is because it has to be reviewed a 2nd time to pick the national honorable mention/affiliate award. In short, national winners (40 girls) have been picked but other award levels have not.
    @MangoLover11223 Application # may impact order they are reviewed but everyone is notified at the same time.
  • LushLilliesLushLillies Registered User Posts: 406 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm #48 and it says mine is submitted (can't even find that waiting for review thing)

Also, I'm so confused that they recalculated my GPA? I don't know where they even pulled out that GPA they calculated...my school has a 100 scale, I don't think NCWIT requested a transcript, right? So like how can they recalculate a GPA?

I'm pretty sure they already made these decisions...when I submitted I said that I had a 96/100 GPA (since there was no option to put in a 100 GPA and I'm not sure how to recalculate my GPA since so many schools do it differently). Now it says I have a 3.8492 which is so weird.

Do you think I should contact someone? I mean I know a 96 isn't a perfect GPA but how is that a 3.8492 without having individual grades...

EDIT: I just realized they converted my GPA by assuming ONLY a grade of 100 is a 4.0. I sent them a message although I highly doubt it will affect anything...that makes me a bit sad. I don't think many schools only consider a 100 as a 4.0...even the harshest graders consider 96 or 97 + a 4.0 and many have 90 as 4.0, right?
    edited December 2017
    @LushLillies
    My school also uses an 100 point scale but I used a converter and put it on a 4.0 scale. NCWIT has no access to your transcript, just the GPA you provide them. I am not sure how they made the decision on how to recalculate your GPA but I don't think a 3.8492 is an accurate conversion (could be wrong). Also consider what scale it is on. Out of 4.0?
    5.0? HOWEVER, I think 3.85 is a very good GPA and don't think you have to contact someone. Tbh, GPA is not a major factor in the NCWIT award particularly. They care that you have a good GPA but your essays are the most important component. While you could contact them, I highly doubt it will impact your application.
  • LushLilliesLushLillies Registered User Posts: 406 Member
    @Bookgal12 Ahhh I should have done that. Just when I submitted it looked like it was going to let me write my GPA in the box in the proper format. I sent them a short message...but on the automatic reply it said decisions were made by December 11th.

Just kind of feel at a small disadvantage with that slightly unreasonable GPA conversion, oh well! As a senior who entered this award competition for the first time, I'd be super pumped to earn anything at all!
    @Bookgal12 thanks for the clarification... so if your application is awaiting review there’s a chance we might get an honorable mention?