Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Award 2018

Replies to: NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Award 2018

• MangoLover11223MangoLover11223 Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    edited December 2017
    @LushLillies how did you find your GPA conversion?
    Also, can someone tell me about how the state winners and stuff are picked? Can you be a national runner up and a state winner?
    How does it work?
  • Bookgal12Bookgal12 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    @MangoLover11223 The national honorable mentions are picked by the same people who picked the national winners (idk the exact procedure) but each application got reviewed 3 times already to pick the national winners. After the national honorable mentions are picked, all the applications are sorted by location and given over to your state/region's NCWIT team to pick affiliate award winners. So you can be a national honorable mention and affiliate winner, my friend was last year. Pretty much if you're a national honorable mention you are guaranteed to also get an affiliate award as it is a lower tier.
  • 7T01R017T01R01 Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    I'm application #3641 and it just says submitted does that mean I won't be considered for national honorable mentions?
    @Bookgal12
  • LushLilliesLushLillies Registered User Posts: 406 Member
    @MangoLover11223 I just viewed my application again and suddenly noticed that it said the 3.85. Yah, I'm also wondering where they put the "waiting for review" info since I can't find it.
    @LushLillies @7T01R01 it should say it directly underneath your application number when you log in. That’s where it shows up for me.
    @Bookgal12 thanks for the explanation!
    oh okay, it says the same for me too
    Thnx! @MangoLover11223
    Does anyone know how many honorable mentions there are on average?
    @MangoLover11223 there will be 350 this year.

When will the honorable mentions come out?
    @7T01R01
    They wrote in the fb group: "As soon as we have acceptances from all 40 National Award winners, we will send out notifications for National Award honorable mentions."
  • MeanestBeanMeanestBean Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    In their FAQ's, it says:

"When will I be notified of the results of my application?"
    Notifications for the National Award are sent out in early January and notifications for the Regional Affiliate Award are sent by mid February, 2018. The award ceremonies take place from January through May of the following year.

https://www.aspirations.org/frequently-asked-questions under the 'High School Students' tab.
  • needtosucceed27needtosucceed27 Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    Hey guys! I'm planning on applying to NCWIT next year. What are the typical extracurriculars of people who win anything at the state/national level? I'm curious to see how I would match up to other applicants. I don't think I can do enough to get on the national level next year (junior year), but I'll try anyways.

Also, does anyone have tips for applying to NCWIT (what extracurriculars to shoot for, what GPA to get, what courses to take, what languages to learn)?
    @needtosucceed27 what are your current achievements/extra-curriculums?
    @MangoLover11223 Unfortunately, I just got into computer science this year (currently taking AP Computer Science Principles), so I have no achievements and am not very involved in extracurriculars pertaining to STEM.

I'm in my school's computer science club and am an active participant. I plan on running for the executive board of it near the end of this year. I'm also on my school's math team; last year, I was on the state math team. I don't know about this year yet; state tryouts are in a few weeks. Most likely I will get a position on it. I am self-learning web development (HTML, Javascript, CSS) and will progress to other languages at a later date. I am helping my computer science teacher with our school's Innovation Fair where students get judged by local businesses on their areas that help solve world problems (which he created). I am planning on competing in it as well. Next semester, I plan on implementing Girls Who Code clubs in local libraries and starting another GWC club at my nearby middle school (or some other STEM program that will empower girls and break STEM stereotypes). I also plan on competing in MIT Inspire and will be researching something that is related to technology and possibly the economy, environmentalism, or law. Over the summer, I'll definitely be self-learning more languages, learning app development, going to at least 1 summer camp related to STEM (if I get in!), preparing for junior year, and expanding my knowledge of STEM.

I know this is probably nothing and will probably amount to some kind of award only on the regional/state level. However, I live in IL, and there is not much competition in this state compared to others. I don't think winning some kind of award within my state would be an issue, but compared to applicants from other more competitive states, I might not fare as well.

I know this is a lot of things that I plan on doing, not things that I have done. I unfortunately just got into computer science, so there has not been a lot of time to do things related to it.

Please give me feedback on my plans / what I have done! It will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and have you competed in NCWIT before?