Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Award 2018

Replies to: NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Award 2018

• MangoLover11223MangoLover11223 Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    National Honorable Mention!!!
  • preciouscanoepreciouscanoe Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    did they send an email?
    @preciouscanoe yep they do send an email.

Everyone else who was accepted— OMG GOOD JOB IM SO PROUD OF YALLLL. Only 350 people are chosen (according to the email) so good jobbbbb. Did you guys acknowledge the email like it asked? Lol I just wrote “hi thanks so much I’m acknowledging the award”
    What did y’all write?
  • palinoiapalinoia Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Honorable Mention! :) Woohoo
    hmm i didn't get an email
    how can we check if we didnt get an email
    @preciouscanoe then you didn’t win and you have to wait until regional winners are announced.
  • equationloverequationlover Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    @palinoia @MangoLover11223 Hey everyone! I just found out I'm a national honorable mention, and I didn't expect it at all, especially since I did the application very last minute compared to last year. What is the difference between winning a state affiliate V.S. a national honorable mention?

I was a state affiliate winner last year, if anyone has any questions! Just tag me, I'm not on here often because school is pretty hefty right now.
  • whatsindestinywhatsindestiny Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    National Honorable Mention here as well! :)
  • equationloverequationlover Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    @whatsindestiny Congrats!! It seems there are many of us here! Do you know the difference between state affiliate winner and national honorable mention? Or is there not really one?
    edited January 10
    @equationlover Congrats to you as well! From what I have heard over the years is that there are two different committees reviewing for national and affiliate awards. National awards are read by the NCWIT team and college students (I think) and they choose 50 National Winners and 350 National Honorable Mentions from all the applications. Then regardless of what anyone wins or doesn't at the national level, applications are distributed to their respective states or regions where a new team of NCWIT volunteers read your application and choose state affiliate winners and honorable mentions. Sometimes it is possible that someone can get National Winner/Honorable Mention and not receive state affiliate winner. So in that sense getting any national level award is much more competitive. Does that answer your question?
    edited January 10
    @equationlover Congrats to you as well! From what I've heard from the past is that there are different committees that read the application at the national level and a different one for the affiliate awards. The national level committee reads all the applications and picks 50 winners and 350 honorable mentions. Then regardless everyone gets sent to their respective state or region committee to be evaluated for affiliate awards. Sometimes people have won National Winner/Honorable Mention and not an affiliate winner/honorable mention.
    @whatsindestiny actually, I’m under the impression that if you win the National honors award you automatically win regional affiliate awards. This has been the case for me for the past two years
  • ceventhceventh Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited January 11
    national honorable mention here!

some of my application points, for reference: senior girl, nj. state winner last year. in 'experience w/ technology,' i talked about competing in the usa computing olympiad (gold div, shooting for platinum next) and summer internships (9th grade at a tech museum, 10th grade at a start-up company, 11th at a university research lab w/ a project presentation at a well-regarded scientific conference). i listed my post-ap cs college classes (data structures, natural language processing, compilers) and post-ap calc bc classes (multivariate calc, diff eq, linear algebra). outside the classroom, i serve as president of computing club, a mentor for research club, and an independent web designer for various international literary magazines, so i elaborated a lot on my extracurricular involvement. i also submitted a portfolio of my website designs and talked about learning to code via tumblr. haha.

i think i set myself apart from others the most in the 'future plans' section. english / creative writing is probably my strongest extracurricular (not cs, lol) so for the career goals question i talked about being open-minded & wanting to bridging the historical divide between humanities and stem. i think i compared writing poetry to writing code. it's a bit idealistic but i made sure to be as original as possible. for the 'problem to solve' q i talked about a future extension of my current research project, which is based on computationally modeling languages. i didn't exactly shy away from technical jargon here but i did try to clearly state how it matters & why it matters. i also used humor, which probably worked.

super excited to reach the national level! i almost forgot about submitting my app until my cs teacher reminded me, lol. good luck for those still waiting and congrats to those who won!
  • MirandarwallaceMirandarwallace Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    When should we expect regional awards to be announced? I'm in north al.