Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What classes should I take to make my transcript look as good as possible?

Izzyfizz96Izzyfizz96 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Our middle school offered high school level courses in Foreign Language and Math. I took both of these opportunities, having taken Math 1 and French 1 in 8th grade. I am currently a Sophomore in high school, taking Math 3 and French 3. I have made the decision to stop Math after Junior year, once I have completed Pre-Calculus, and I will take AP French 4 next year. My high school offers French 5 and AP French 5, which I am unsure about taking. I don't know if how it looks on my transcript is good enough to justify the extra slot on my schedule. Additionally, I need to decide when/if I am taking Physics. My major will have nothing to do with math or science (I plan on studying Journalism and Communications), and quite honestly I hate Science. I already know I will not take Physics my Junior year, but I could still take it Senior year. I don't know if, again, it would be worth the extra slot that I could be using for an extra English or Art elective. Those are the only two classes I'm on the fence about whether or not to take.

Replies to: What classes should I take to make my transcript look as good as possible?

• orionaryorionary Registered User Posts: 388 Member
    "What classes should I take to make my transcript look as good as possible?"

Well, to answer your main question, a GOOD looking transcript is something that has these qualities:

-Have taken MULTIPLE AP/IB/honors classes from MANY areas (math, science, history, etc)
    -Have excelled in those classes (and in regulars if you choose to take them), as in As and B's
    -Have taken the requirement classes that colleges want to see (i.e: math for ALL 4 years)
    -NOT choosing to have a free period/block class on your transcript
    -Good rank for your class (i.e rank 5/445 total classmates)

If you are passionate about going into Journalism and Communications, an extra English class or art would be a good choice, however, make sure you're not thinking full of yourself. For instance, if a college wants you to take math for all 4 years, and you decide to drop math in your junior year, it can be a big downside on your college resume, even if math or science is not your passionate subject or has anything to do with your major.

I will say that it's very impressive that you've been taking a foreign language class for so long. Good job!
  • r2v2018r2v2018 Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    Colleges like to see good grades across the board in terms of your classes; it's not uncommon to have standard classes on your transcript in earlier years, but by junior year, you should, at the absolute least, be in honors for English, Science, and History and have started to take AP classes, but keep in mind that the most competitive applicants take college (dual enrollment) or college level (AP/IB/AICE) core classes starting junior year. I would strongly recommend that you take AP English Language and APUSH at the very least; these seem to be very important classes to take in high school. It is also frequently recommended to take one of each of biology, chemistry, and physics in high school (preferably Honors) as well as an AP version of one of those. Attaining level four foreign language is very impressive; continue on with French 4 and take AP French senior year if you do well.

Unless you want to go into STEM, I see no problem with not moving on to calculus, but colleges may question your decision not to take ANY math senior year. Perhaps you can look into a Dual Enrollment College Algebra class that can serve as a head start to fulfilling your college gen eds.
This discussion has been closed.