Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What should I go to college for?

ConfusedWithLifeConfusedWithLife Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I know I want to study the human mind but there are so many different majors for that. I have looked into sociology, physiology, schopathology, and criminal physology but none seem to fit what I want to do. I love studying specific mental illnesses like DID (dissociative identity disorder), schizophrenia, and other things like that, but I don't want to diagnose them or research cures I want to see how they affect different people and stuff like that. I have thought about sociology since I like figuring out how curtain groups act together but I don't know if that is an actual job. Is there something I can study in college for this or am I just dillusional. Thanks for the help!!

Replies to: What should I go to college for?

  • rocket88rocket88 Registered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    Have you taken a psych or sociology class yet? Go to a college that has good programs in both, take the intro classes in both, then you'll have a better idea what you want to do.
  • mommyrocksmommyrocks Registered User Posts: 1,218 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    It sounds like you want to research how the mind works, rather than help people with improving how their mind works -- so a research focus rather than an applied focus. You would essentially be a Research Psychologist. You can find more information and tips about pursuing this career path here:

    You could start with a bachelor's in Psychology, and conduct research projects with professors while you are in college. Then you could pursue a PhD or other advanced degree and continue research as a career, possibly as a professor or by working for a government agency.

    Your undergraduate major in Psychology will naturally cover more topics than your specific area of interest in the field, but as you conduct research projects for professors and later pursue a topic to research for your PhD, you can focus on the specific issues of greatest interest to you.
  • SuperGeo5999SuperGeo5999 Registered User Posts: 683 Member
    edited December 2017
    Does your high school offer a business or criminal law class? That might be helpful to see if you want to study or work with anything dealing with criminals.
  • WaterborneWaterborne Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    edited December 2017
    Take Social Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, or Human Services at the local C.C.
  • OhWhatsHerNameOhWhatsHerName Registered User Posts: 816 Member
    It sounds like you want to go into clinical psychology to me.
  • ab2002ab2002 Registered User Posts: 640 Member
    Well every job you’re going to have involving mental disorders / sociology is going to involve research or diagnosing patients. There is no job for looking at social situations and learning about them, that’s called being a student. I completely agree with @OhWhatsHerName, you should look into clinical psychology. You do refer to a psychiatrist when a patient needs a form of medicine to help lessen side effects of mental disorders, but you don’t diagnose every patient you get. If you do go into research you will be, as you desired, studying groups / social situations in order to try and discover something new. You will have to publish the research though, otherwise there’s no point. Hope this helped.
This discussion has been closed.