Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are my AP classes enough?

MissBagLadyMissBagLady Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
I attend an international school in Korea, which offers 19 APs total throughout my 3 years there (Korean high schools have 3 grades).

According to plan, I have/will take 8 AP classes out of them. Of course, I would like to take some more, given that I am aiming for some highly selective schools. However, our school made it impossible to take many AP classes--even though they do "offer" a lot--by scheduling many AP classes in the same period. For example, AP WH, AP Macro, and AP CP were all held at the same time, so I could only take 1 of them.

I have 8 classes, but I also have 4 other (different from those 8) APs that I have taken only as exams, and not classes. I got a 5 on all 4.

Also, among those 19, 4 were "extra" classes--the school hired an AP instructor & the classes were held after regular class time & you had to pay extra. I didn't take any of them, since I had taken the AP exams for most of them anyway.

I know that 8 out of 19 certainly doesn't look good, but it sure wasn't because I was too lazy or afraid to take the other classes--I was just done with the exams & why would I go through the curriculum again?

Anyway, how would this situation look like in the eyes of colleges? They probably won't understand all that complication, but would they be fine with the 8/19 APs? Or would it be a negative factor in my application?

Replies to: Are my AP classes enough?

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,145 Super Moderator
    6-8 AP classes over the course of a HS career are generally considered "enough." After that, the laws of diminishing returns kick in. While there may be valid reasons for taking more, additional APs will not significantly boost the application package.

Most schools will have issues with schedule conflicts or school policy limiting APs; your GC can explain that in the Secondary School Report. No college expects applicants to take AP courses/exams not offered in the regular curriculum and while the AP exams that you took without a course may give you credit, they will not weigh in the admissions decision.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,169 Senior Member
    What are the 8 AP's? (ie;, do they "make sense"?)
    Other than that, 8 is perfectly fine.
    What will matter is what you achieve outside of school (assuming decent grades and scores).
This discussion has been closed.