Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cannot Go to College? Please Help.

Replies to: Cannot Go to College? Please Help.

• DoubleFantasyDoubleFantasy Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    @MYOS1634 I'm a senior as well
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    Could you work for a year or two to save up? Then community college, branch campus, or a four-year school that would give you better merit than whichever ones you applied to?
  • shawnspencershawnspencer Registered User Posts: 3,110 Senior Member
    That's pretty good! You might be in a better shape than you thought. Start by checking out some of the universities on this list: http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com. There are a few universities that would give you a full tuition scholarship or even a full ride. There is also a CC thread discussing them here: https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/2006094-2017-automatic-full-tuition-full-ride-scholarships-p1.html.

Don't lose hope! You're still in pretty good shape, but I would definitely have a good talk with your parents if you haven't already first.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,567 Senior Member
    Use the thread, not the yolasite. The thread is up to date if you start at the end and work your way up.

• coolguy40coolguy40 Registered User Posts: 1,540 Senior Member
    There is an option in the FAFSA to skip the parents information. When you're 18, you're considered independent and you do not have to include your parents information. Yes, you will be eligible for grants and loans. I went my entire college as an independent and I got loans and grants just fine. By the way, you're eligible for a partial scholarship at Auburn University and the deadline is Feb 1.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 34,128 Senior Member
    That is just NOT TRUE. There are certain conditions under which you are considered independent (married, in armed forces, etc). Here are the requirements, OP:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency#dependent-or-independent

You can't get federal loans if you are considered dependent under these rules and your parents won't fill out the FAFSA. @coolguy40, the only thing I can think is that you meet the criteria for independence (which the OP doesn't seem to) or you lied on your forms...
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,572 Senior Member
    Can you get a job at a company that will help with tuition? UPS, Starbucks and some of the big corporations offer tuition assistance. Wanting to be an accountant is great, as some of the companies require you to take classes that will help at your job. How about getting a job at a bank?

With all your APs, you might have already completed your core classes for English and history, but may need to start the sequence for accounting.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,567 Senior Member
    Without the parent information, you can still get unsubsidized loans if the school determines you are financially independent of your parent. This would likely require OP to move out of the parents' home. A year's rent might well exceed the maximum 5,500 unsubsidized freshman loan.

Even with the unsubsidized loan, OP will not be eligible for any federal subsidies or grants.

How the school allocates its own funds is based on its own policies. This is why OP might be able to get merit aid.
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    My friend's son is a tad older. He also wanted to do accounting though he may want something different now. In high school after our third semester senior year many seniors are eligible for an internship though you need to be at school for ap classes and performance classes like band and chorus so it isn't always feasible. Basically from what I understand after April vacation kids are placed in a local company and depending on where they work they try to allow them to do as much as legally allowed. I think the work 5 to 6 hour days though that includes a lunch break. It might be during school hours but esp if your working around 1 or 2 classes the hours can be different.

I think his plan was to take a year off and apply to schools then to save up some money to help his parents pay. I'm not sure why but he didn't want to start right after graduation. He did an internship in the 4th quarter at a small insurance company which lead to a full time job. They taught him a lot of basic bookkeeping/accounting and other insurance stuff. They also are paying for him to take some community college classes. He seems content and is in his third year. I think he will end up doing a bachelor's part time while working part time as soon as he finishes his associates but I'm not sure if accounting is still his desire. Yes it is taking longer but he is happy.
  • powercropperpowercropper Registered User Posts: 1,564 Senior Member
    @DoubleFantasy have you ever heard of a Gap Year? It is an option for your unique situation. You can accept an admissions offer and ask to DEFER for one year. Some colleges will allow you to keep any scholarships you have been awarded. During your gap year, you could work full time (and live at home if your parents allow you) and save up as much money as you can. You can not attend any college classes during your gap year, in order to preserve your Freshman Status.

This only works if you are admitted to a low cost school, or one that gives you massive scholarship.

But you can just take the gap year anyway, and work to save money while also researching and applying to more affordable schools, or to schools that will give you lots of merit money for your stats. You need to confirm with each school that their merit aid is NOT dependent on you filling out FAFSA or other parent-oriented financial forms. Each school will have their own policies, so be careful to call and speak with officers at each school. Do not trust the random person who answers the phone in financial aid office, but actually ask to speak with a financial aid officer to be sure you are getting accurate information.

In general, you are going to get your best merit aid scholarship offer as a Freshman. If you transfer from community college to four year university, you may get some money, but not as much as if you had started there as a Freshman.
    So, protect your Freshman status, and try to pick a school that you can afford for all four years.

On another note, did you think your parents were going to provide money for your college education? Did they make a rash decision at the last minute and pull their support? Or did you not really talk about it, and just thought they would pay? I am just curious if this is a snap decision that took you by surprise.
  • coolguy40coolguy40 Registered User Posts: 1,540 Senior Member
    I was wrong about the FAFSA. But, like I said before, there's always a way to pay for college. Get a job in a company that offers tuition assistance. A bank teller at a major bank, for instance, you could draw off the benefits of the company. That requires no FAFSA. Work full time over the summer and use your savings to pay tuition for community college. Use tuition reimbursement to pay for the next semester.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 70,432 Senior Member
    edited January 9
    I have an SAT score of 1350, and a GPA of 3.7 or 4.0 (depending which conversion table you use). I have 12 AP classes up my belt as well.

Check for full ride merit scholarships where you would not need parental money or FAFSA forms (but you may need to work to earn money for travel and incidentals).

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21089443/#Comment_21089443 lists some possibilities:

Alabama State
    Alcorn State (MS)
    Jackson State (MS)
    Prairie View A&M (TX)
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    edited January 9
    What is he eligible for at UA Huntsville?

What about trying in Missouri and Utah since scholarship winners who can pay instate tuition after a year while keeping their scholarship?

@coolguy40: that's simply not true. "Where there's a will there's a way" doesn't work with college. Paying for college has become so complicated even with parents' help that without it the only solution may be to wait till age 24 - and 6 years at age 18 is one third of their life.
    The employers tend to have a limit on how many credits you can take per semester (3-4) for instance. You can't be a bank teller with just a high school diploma anymore.

To make matters worse, op lives in PA, where even community college is expensive AND doesn't lead to one of their flagships but one of the directionals where the budget has been drastically cut.
    And there aren't any full ride or full-tuition scholarships instate at public's. (Op could commute to a local college with a full tuition scholarship... Op, is there any 4-year college within winter driving distance? Check if they offer competitive full tuition scholarships).

The savviest move is likely for OP to move to a state where residency isn't parent-dependent and where someone over the age of 18 working full-time time will be considered instate for tuition. Op should retake the sat to bring his up as much as possible, no longer for admission but rather for the purpose of the highest possible scholarship.
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG Registered User Posts: 685 Member
    "The savviest move is likely for OP to move to a state where residency isn't parent-dependent and where someone over the age of 18 working full-time time will be considered instate for tuition."

Utah... Dixie State the best deal I have found for a family member in a similar situation, they offer accounting. https://dixie.edu And Utah is filled with resorts, many of which have dorms so it is an easy state for a young person to move to and set up a residence. https://www.coolworks.com/utah-jobs
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 70,432 Senior Member
    MYOS1634 wrote:
    What is he eligible for at UA Huntsville?

https://www.uah.edu/admissions/undergraduate/financial-aid/scholarships/merit-tuition-scholarships says 45% or 67% of tuition, depending on how GPA is calculated. Not close enough to a full ride to be a realistic choice.