Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Junior year course selection

needtosucceed27needtosucceed27 Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
I am a sophomore in high school and am planning on majoring in engineering or computer science.

These are the courses I'm planning to take my junior year:

AP Lang
- taking this because I want to improve in writing; will probably help with ACT and college essays

AP Chinese
- should be a breeze
- will receive at most 5 hours of homework a week, so it's pretty easy
- it is online because school does not offer Chinese at school but pays for online course

AP Computer Science A
- considering going into computer science, or another STEM field where I can apply my computer science skills
- should be really easy, as so I've heard

AP Physics I&II
- planning on majoring in STEM-related fields, seriously considering becoming an engineer, and physics is important for engineering
- notorious for being the hardest course out of all grade levels

Pre-Calc Honors
- I am on the advanced math track; this is the farthest I can go since I can't skip math levels
College Prep US History (essentially regular-level history)

Does this seem like a good schedule for when I become a senior?

I decided not to take AP Seminar and AP US History even though I am interested in them because I thought it would be a complete overkill. Although it would be nice to take more APs and learn more things, I want to put myself first and not sacrifice too much sleep for all these APs. I know I can manage 4 APs so I'm generally happy with my schedule. However, some of my classmates are taking more APs than me, so I'm worried if this is going to put me at a disadvantage for college applications. I didn't think it would hurt to not take those aforementioned AP courses since I am going to be majoring in STEM and doing a minor in business.

Would it hurt though? Does anyone have any suggestions? Any advice is appreciated :)

Replies to: Junior year course selection

• needtosucceed27needtosucceed27 Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    *forgot to mention that College Prep US History is going to be a breeze for me. I took AP World History (4) and am taking AP European History and found those pretty easy, so taking a regular-level course will be much more simple. I don't know if I am making a mistake by not having an upward progression in my history courses by not taking AP US History, but would it even matter if I am majoring in STEM and minoring in business?

I decided against taking AP US History because I knew that I would need more time to focus on AP Physics because that class is really, really hard, but I'm not sure if I'm making a mistake by doing that.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 64,296 Senior Member
    If AP CS principles is offered, you may want to consider that (instead of AP CS A) as a way of learning what CS is about and how it relates to everything else.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 32,452 Senior Member
    Is physics 1&2 offered as a one year course?
    @ucbalumnus I am currently taking ACSP. Does my schedule look fine though, or should I take the additional APs that I've mentioned?
    @MYOS1634 Yes.
    That's why it's so difficult then - it's been designed as a 2-year course. Therefore the program must be very intense. It does prepare you for SAT2 Physics subject well though.
    Your schedule is fine as is. In Stanford's words "it's not a game of who has the most Ap's, wins". 4 solid AP's that match your interest are perfect.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 28,953 Super Moderator
    That's why it's so difficult then - it's been designed as a 2-year course. Therefore the program must be very intense.
    As I've said numerous times, the CB, IMO, really missed the mark on AP Physics 1 & 2. The predecessor, AP Physics B, was a one year course and thousands of students over the decades survived. :) Doing AP Physics 1+2 in a year is equivalent to a one-year college sequence, so is not more difficult, IMO, than any other AP class that mirrors a one-year college course, like AP Chem/AP Bio. And as noted, it at least better prepares students for the Subject Test.

Anyway, for the OP:
    AP Lang
    - taking this because I want to improve in writing; will probably help with ACT and college essays
    A very valid reason.

4 APs is fine. As @MYOS1634 says, it's not a game where the one with the most APs wins. Good luck.
    @MYOS1634 Thanks!
    @skieurope Thank you :) I just got a little worried because I heard about how a few other people were taking more APs than me, but I think I'm perfectly fine with the APs that I'm taking right now. I might take APUSH though since I've heard it's a pretty easy class, and I can just BS the homework.
    APUSH may be easy at your school but it's typically considered one of the hard APs with lots do reading and work.
    @MYOS1634 I forgot to clarify. At my school, there is a lot of reading and work in APUSH, but it is not difficult. It's more annoying in the sense that it is so time consuming, but it is still easy.