Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How to stop hating school?

CavsFan2003CavsFan2003 Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
Hi.

I was forced due to familial issues to switch schools 2 weeks before the end of last semester. I had been in my previous school district for 5 years and grew to love it. I had many friends there and I loved school- everything about it.

But due to this issue, I was forced to move to a bigger school in a completely different district. I've been here for about a month and I hate it so much.

This last semester, I was a very motivated student- my lowest grade was a 96 percent and I loved learning. School was my favorite part of the day. After the move, I have no motivation and I hate school. I count the hours until I get to leave. I do my schoolwork but it's just going through the motions.

I have a few friends here but it doesn't help much. I have absolutely no positive emotion towards school anymore.

I have forced myself to get ill to get out of school. Waking up everyday is a struggle and all morning and night I'm filled with dread for the next day.

I really want to go to a prestigious college in a few years and I'm scared that I'm going to screw it up because I'm so... empty. I cry a few times a week just thinking about the whole situation. I want to get good grades here but it's been tough.

I miss my old friends and my old school so much but my home situation here is so much better that I can't go back.

I've joined the musical and track but again, I don't feel excitement or happiness for these.

I don't know what's wrong with me. It's been a month and I should be settled and in a groove, but lately I just have no motivation. I hate this place.

How can I stop hating school? How can I get my motivation back? Thank you in advance. I need help.

Replies to: How to stop hating school?

• bopperbopper Registered User Posts: 8,400 Senior Member
    Sounds like some depression to me...ask your guidance counselor, school psychologist or your parents for a referall.
  • CavsFan2003CavsFan2003 Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    I'll talk to my parents about it. My mom and sister have dealt with depression before, so I'm sure they'll know what to do. I've never thought I'd be depressed, I've always been known as an upbeat person and I don't want to disappoint people because I'm just kinda sad now.

Thank you for the advice. I'll talk to my Dad.
  • FlameAlchemistFlameAlchemist Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    @CavsFan2003 I think I've had a similar experience to yours. I'm not sure if this'll be helpful, but here goes.
    I spent all of my school years, through seventh grade, at one school. I really loved that school. It took a while for me to make friends there, but somehow I did, and once I had made them, we were a really close group. Now, again, not sure if this'll help you, because I had some special circumstances that played a huge role in things, so anyway, don't pay too much attention. Now, after seventh grade, my parents transferred me to another school, the 'small school' I mentioned in earlier posts on our group forum. I hated that school. For my first few weeks, I cried myself to sleep every night. I'd been bullied before, but when I entered the new school, it was way worse. I had no friends for the first year there. Everyone made fun of me. And I hated that school! It felt like a prison.
    Still, things got better. The bully left, and I've made some tentative connections with newer students. I don't really have any friends, but I don't usually make friends anyway, so it's not a huge deal. I still hate the school I attend. I still want to leave. But school isn't everything. I'm a writer. That's sort of my hobby, but to me it's a lot more. It helped me get through all of those days. If I were you, I'd find something that you Iove, and work on it. I don't know if it'll get better for you at your new school, but if it doesn't, then you'll have that something else. Depending on what you choose, you might even be able to work on it inside school. For example, as a writer, I often work on my stories in my head. Not sure if that makes me weird, or something, but it definitely helped. As for college admissions, yeah, I'm worried about that too. I'm doing OK, but I don't have a 4.0, and that makes me worried. Still, from what I've heard, a huge help in college admissions is if you're spectacular at a certain thing. If I keep working, maybe I'll become a great writer someday. If you find your special talent, maybe you'll become great at it.
    As for friends, can't help you there. I'm still looking for some. I'm a little too weird for most kids, so I sort of doubt I'll ever make any real friends. As for the ones from seventh grade, well, special circumstances at play and all, we weren't really friends. To be honest, I was sort of a brat back then, so while I thought of them as friends, they weren't really. With friends, I'd look for people who like the same stuff you like. Get out and join clubs! If you're a brainiac, then I'd advise Quiz Bowl.
    As for depression, I think the earlier advice is pretty good. Talk to your family. They love you, and can help. Also, finding something you love can be a lifesaver.
    Not sure how helpful this'll be, but here's some advice from your fellow ninth grader. Good luck!