Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Pass/Fail Summer Courses?

Student1928Student1928 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
I'm a STEM guy, who isn't right?
Anyway, I hate history, and I want to make room for more STEM courses in my junior year.
So I want to take it over the summer PASS/FAIL (I could take it out of a regular 4.0, but if I got an A it would lower my grade)

Will colleges care if I took a course that has nothing to do with my intended major over the summer for Pass/fail? And consequently doing more rigorous and math-related courses during the next school year.

Replies to: Pass/Fail Summer Courses?

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,232 Forum Champion
    Can you take History P/F?
    How much are you a self-starter? I can see the situation where you think.I don'thave to study, it is just pass fail adn then you fail.
  • Student1928Student1928 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Thanks for the fast response.
    Yes, I can take U.S. History pass/fail.
    It's a regular course, not accelerated or anything. I am not worried about the difficulty because I know it's going to be an easy A.
    However, that's where the problem arises. Even if I get an A on this course, It would drop by GPA down (Not weighted only out of 4.0) and thus taking p/f would save my GPA.
    How would colleges perceive this?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 36,145 Super Moderator
    How would colleges perceive this?
    To what does "this" refer?

Is it "How would colleges perceive a P/F course?" or " "How would colleges perceive my taking a P/F course to avoid a GPA hit?"

Regardless, you really asking the wrong question. If you want to take a course over the summer in order to take "more rigorous and math-related courses during the next school year" then that's fine, unless just doing academic work over the summer makes you too one-dimensional. But really, worrying about the impact of an A on your GPA is worrying about the wrong things; it will not be the difference between an acceptance letter and a rejection letter at any college, IMO.
  • Student1928Student1928 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    "How would colleges perceive a P/F course?" <-- that one