Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Any unsuccessful AP test rescore stories? (ex. score went down or no change)

mic347mic347 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
Just wondering because I'm considering wasting $60 bucks to have 2 tests rescored. It seems like most rescores result in a higher score, but that's most likely because most people rescoring already thought their scores were wrong.

Replies to: Any unsuccessful AP test rescore stories? (ex. score went down or no change)

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 37,461 Super Moderator
    edited August 13
    It seems like most rescores result in a higher score
    Actually, IME, almost every rescore results in no change, even for those students who were positive that they were going to get a higher score. I can count on one hand (and without going back in to my notes, it might only be one finger) the number of successful rescore stories I have heard.
  • mic347mic347 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    I looked at an older thread (2007, I think) about rescores and it seemed like nearly everyone reported successful rescore stories on the first few pages of the thread. I've heard of one rescore story IRL and it was successful. These are probably self selecting examples though, as people who rescored and saw changes are more likely to report that than those who rescored and saw no changes.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 37,461 Super Moderator
    I looked at an older thread (2007
    2007 in college admissions terms was a lifetime ago. And in real-life chronological terms was over half your own lifetime ago. So take it with a grain of salt.

Additionally, the teen-aged users on this site are not a statistical subset of college-bound students.

But, bottom line, if you have the money, and truly think you have a shot at a higher score, feel free to request a rescore. But keep your expectations low.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,783 Forum Champion
    From @celesteroberts in 2014
    Maybe you've read other threads and seen our experience already? In case not, last year my D had her APUSH score raised from 2 to 4. We requested the MC rescore and the FRQ booklet. Turned out something happened to the MC section, lost or mangled. They didn't ever say, but used the grade they had from FRQ to estimate a score for her (and refunded the money we paid for the MC rescore.)

I figured it was worth a shot to try. She had all 4s and 5s otherwise last year and the previous year. Was sure she had nailed the exam and always has been accurate in predicting how she performed on tests. Also it was cheaper last year. I see they raised prices for rescores and FRQ booklets this year. Do you have other AP scores? How have you done on those?

From @mommalis in 2010
    Her US History score went from a "2" to a "5". Her Multiple Choice section had not been graded by the machine so it was not included in her score.

I would make one suggestion although quite a few people would disagree with it. I would also request a copy of the Free Response book for an additional $7.00. That way you will know that it was not lost or set aside in a pile for whatever reason( it is NOT regraded, and the copy you get has no comments, scores or markings but at least you will know that it was not misplaced). The successful rescores seem to come from reported scores that only included one of the two sections - either the MC was not graded by the machine and set aside,as in my Daughter's case, or the Free Response book was set aside/misplaced and not added to the MC score. I also read one post where once AP looked at the Free Response book they discovered that not all of the Free Response answers had been included in the Free Response score. I do not think they would have discovered that if a copy of the Free Response book had not been requested.

There is a deadline within which you have to request the rescore-after that the exams are probably discarded. I think it is still some time away, but do NOT hesitate. Mistakes DO happen- My Daughter's rescore results are evidence of that.

Also check out https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/ap-tests-preparation/367957-successful-ap-rescore-stories-p1.html

• mic347mic347 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    @bopper the thread you linked is the one I was reading yesterday. It seems most stories were of people who scored abnormally low and know they did better (ex. 1 or 2 ---> 4 or 5).