Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I graduate early from highschool?

ck_k3ck_k3 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I live in California I'm 15(skipped 1 year) right now and a junior. I was thinking about taking the CHSPE and leaving early, there are a multitude of reasons for this; 1. My GPA is not too hot around a 3.2 weighted(will go up to a 3.5) after this semester, I took way to many AP's for me to handle sophomore year and freshman year I was, well a freshman. 2. I cant stand this environment, I go to a very competitive high school and I just want to be out of here. My proposed route would be take the CHSPE(I turn 16 in December) in spring then, maybe take some credits over summer at my school, but if I pass go to community college(4 year would be preferable but I don't think that's possible) and study very hard(This year I have almost all A's with 3 AP's) and from there a UC where I will be 1 year ahead of my peers but technically 2. If all goes well I could graduate with a bachelors at 20. If I don't I feel like a run the risk of going to either community again(pointless) or I end up at a meh school when I could have gone to a UC. Also this is my 2nd post so idk if this is even the right place for it.
Thanks!

Replies to: Should I graduate early from highschool?

• aquaptaquapt Registered User Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    edited November 8
    Look into Middle College programs that allow you to move to a community college setting during your last couple years of high school. That way you'll be able to apply to four-year colleges as a freshman, even though you'll have the college credits under your belt. Keeping your freshman status will give you more merit scholarship opportunities and the chance to live in campus housing with your same-age peers, and you can still graduate early from college.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,811 Forum Champion
    Graduating HS early
    Things to consider:

1) You are competing with other students for admission who have had an extra semesters of classes, leadership, ECs.
    2) If you want to take college classes, why not take them through dual enrollment in HS? Then you don't have to worry about paying for them or transfer issues

So in general, I would not recommend this at all. There is no real upside.