Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

If I'm majoring in Chemical Engineering, should I take more physics or chem classes in high school?

RogerNadalRogerNadal Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
I'll be a junior in high school next year and I plan on majoring in chemical engineering, but I can't decide whether to take AP Chem or AP Physics 1 (my school doesn't offer AP Physics C, but I could self-study it). I've heard chemical engineering is more physics than chemistry, so I'm not sure which of these classes to take.

Replies to: If I'm majoring in Chemical Engineering, should I take more physics or chem classes in high school?

  • airway1airway1 Registered User Posts: 495 Member
    My kid is a chemical engineer You just need the required sciences but math is more important.. make sure you take pre Cal as some engineering schools will not accept you if you don’t have it
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 75,364 Senior Member
    Minimum: math through precalculus/trigonometry, high school chemistry, high school physics

    Better if available to you: AP calculus, AP chemistry, AP physics
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,144 Senior Member
    Both. My chem e's first year curriculum is heavy in physics, chem, and math. The more exposure you can get before hitting those courses in college the better. Take one of those sciences next year and save the other for senior year.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,261 Forum Champion
    You will need to take Chemistry and Physics as freshman engineering student.
    Dont' worry about taking AP Physics C..you can take that in college.
    So take AP Physics one year and AP Chem the other.
Sign In or Register to comment.