right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Future Junior Year problem

rodri123rodri123 6 replies2 threads New Member
In my high school which has only 4 classes per semester I can take AP English Language & Composition and AP US History as a combo A/B day class ( takes 1st and 2nd semester )in which I have a English 3 credit and American History 1 and 2 and because I love History a lot, but also I want to take AP Biology (takes 2 places on schedule )because I just love science

Please help me.
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Future Junior Year problem

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 43281 replies471 threads Senior Member
    Your question is hard to understand. What's the problem exactly?
    Are AP classes a period both semesters?
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 998 replies7 threads Senior Member
    I'm a bit lost with what you wrote. You would have two classes all year taking up two periods of 4. that would leave you 4 semesters worth of classes? Why do you need two ELA classes in one year (unless one is an elective?)

You could take
    AP History all year
    AP English all year
    American History all year (both parts)
    2 half year classes

or AP History all year
    Ap English all year
    AP biology 2 periods semester 1
    and 2 classes 1/2 year each

Is this correct otherwise I'm lost?
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 2255 replies28 threads Senior Member
    This is a question for your guidance counselor. She or he can tell you what options you have. This will be based on your state and what your school allows.
    · Reply · Share
  • rodri123rodri123 6 replies2 threads New Member
    the apush is yearlong also like ap lang, and ap bio is yearlong
    · Reply · Share
    like one is for my major and the other is to get american history out of the way and history is my passion just like science
    · Reply · Share
    Ok: taking 3 AP's (AP English, AP Bio, APUSH) would block 6/8 class blocks in your schedule, right?

1° Take EITHER AP History OR US History. Or better yet, take APUSH. Take another AP History class senior year. There's no point in taking regular US history and APUSH.
    2° your remaining classes MUST be Math and Foreign language
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 2019
    what I got is just do those and math 3 (algebra 2) and chemistry (since I can take apbio cocurrently with chemistry) but I will have already completed my 2 levels of foreign language which both are Chinese
    edited September 2019
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 2019
    Stopping as a sophomore&Level 2 is a bad move: That will block you from many 4-year universities (the standard is 3 years, and 4 if you're aiming for very selective universities).
    You need Math3, then precalculus (again as a minimum for 4-year college admission). Preferably, if aiming for STEM, calculus. If not aiming for STEM, statistics.
    You don't need to take 2 sciences the same year. However you do need one year each of biology, chemistry, and physics +, if aiming for STEM, one of those at the AP level (such as AP Bio) and, if NOT aiming for STEM, either APES or any other science course.
    edited September 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35412 replies399 threads Senior Member
    For a more competitive college, even as a humanities major, APES is the poor sister to an AP science. Same with calc, though there's some give, if everything else lines up strongly. Of course, youhave to understand what's meant by "strongly."

The competition is that fierce. And more motters, too, which you want to get an idea of.
    · Reply · Share
    I am aiming for a Molecular Biology major with a Chemistry minor.
    · Reply · Share
    Then you need math through Precalculus honors or calculus, AP Bio and ap chem (+ physics honors). That's even for your flagship university.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity