right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

USABO 2020

aarveen21401aarveen21401 0 replies1 threads New Member
Haven't seen a forum for the 2020 USABO yet, so I decided to open one! How's everyone else going with preparing for the USABO? I've already started a USABO club at my school, and right now I'm just working on spreading the word and recruiting people. Any tips?
153 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: USABO 2020

• IvylegeIvylege 42 replies6 threads Junior Member
    What activities do you plan to conduct at the club ? My school needs over 100 signatures even to start the club.
    · Reply · Share
  • UltraScienceGuyUltraScienceGuy 1 replies0 threads New Member
    At the moment, I have read up to chapter 41 in Campbell's. Over winter break, I haven't done anything because of vacation, so I'm starting to get back into studying, this time with the addition of Raven's plant bio (im only doing select chapters).
    · Reply · Share
  • 123science123science 1 replies0 threads New Member
    edited January 6
    Hi! I was wondering how many practice tests you guys usually do to prepare
    edited January 6
    · Reply · Share
  • Darwin9Darwin9 22 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Hi guys, last year I did the open exam after reading Campbell only and managed to qualify for semis. So just make sure you know all the concepts from Campbell before opens. Also this year I am using Biolympiads Crash Course and there are a bunch of awesome videos there that cover everything from zoology to plants to biotechnology techniques. And for semis don't forget to review Raven's, perhaps Vander's and also any genetics book since in semis you can find many questions related to genes, inheritance etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • skompella9892skompella9892 154 replies14 threads Junior Member
    Hey guys! I’m on chapter 21 right now, and I was just curious: how hard is it to make it to semis if I finish, say, three-quarters of Campbell? I may or may not be able to finish the whole thing. What do you think I should do with the time I have left?
    · Reply · Share
  • parkeppuparkeppu 25 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @skompella9892 go over the chapters that matter, don't waste ur time with the ones that don't, at least for USABO (like unit 5)
    · Reply · Share
    @parkeppu so u think I shouldn’t read unit 5? I had figured it wouldn’t be helpful, but I wasn’t sure.
    · Reply · Share
    @skompella9892 at this point in usabo preparation with the open exam right around the corner, I wouldn't - if you make semis, for sure, but not right now.
    · Reply · Share
  • udonlordudonlord 52 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Am I the only one that loves how these threads are silent as the grave until February-March then just explode? Heh.

For those taking the test tomorrow, good luck!!
    · Reply · Share
  • none123none123 17 replies1 threads Junior Member
    omg ikr -- good luck y'all!! the olympiad season is upon us!
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 4
    Hey guys—I’ve only read 1-25 and part of 35. Am I screwed or do I have a shot at semis? For some context: this is my first year doing it, I took the 2010 open exam and got a 23 with some cell bio knowledge, and I’m taking AP Bio. Should I read a bit more or try and cram with Khan Academy?

Also, how hard is it really to qualify for the open exam if you’re okayish smart and doing well in AP Bio? Assume that I don’t really know a whole lot outside of cell bio, but I have decent test taking skills. Is it really hard to qualify for semis (like AIME) or rather easy if you have the basics down?
    edited February 4
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 4
    like any olympiad, usabo is hard - u need more than basics - but not as hard as AIME imo
    edited February 4
    · Reply · Share
    that was one of the hardest tests ive ever taken in my life jeeeeezus 😂😂
    · Reply · Share
    omg nooo im taking it feb 13 :(((
    · Reply · Share
    i expected it to be hard but knowing this makes me sadder lmao
    · Reply · Share
  • iamaccuser1iamaccuser1 50 replies8 threads Junior Member
    I am taking it tomorrow lol ... I'm so screwed :(((
    · Reply · Share
  • AP ProcrastinationAP Procrastination 32 replies23 threads Junior Member
    edited February 5
    Yo guys I took the exam today and Im dying to find out what i got wrong anyone wanna discuss privately
    edited February 5
    · Reply · Share
  • johnsonmckennajohnsonmckenna 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Same here :(((
    · Reply · Share
  • StudyOfLifeStudyOfLife 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Who wants to discuss? I took the test yesterday and I literally have no clue if I did well or did rly bad
    · Reply · Share
  • box3rsrul3box3rsrul3 4 replies0 threads New Member
    How hard is hard y'all? Obv we cant discuss questions but were they just super specific or weirdly worded or what? I'm taking it on the 13th and I'm a bit scared yikes
    · Reply · Share