right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. Due to very high demand we will be streaming the event on our Facebook page. Let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Cooper Union is rumored to release decisions tomorrow (4/1). Share your outcome!
Tulane is rumored to release decisions today (3/31). Share your outcome!
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

Should I take APUSH?

ccdipp13ccdipp13 7 replies1 threads New Member
edited January 14 in High School Life
I'm a Freshman going into my Sophomore year and I am worried about what I should take next year. So far this year I am taking: Algebra 1, Honors Biology, U.S History 1, Spanish 2, English 1, Art Experience, and Technology and Engineering Foundations. I have a 3.9 uw GPA.

So far for next year I am taking:
Algebra 2
Geometry 1
Honors Chemistry
Spanish 3
English 2
Journalism 1.

And I was thinking about taking APUSH, but I heard it was one of the hardest AP classes so I am not sure if I should take it or not. In regular history right now I have an A but I'm not sure how well I would do in APUSH.

ThanKS!
edited January 14
17 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I take APUSH?

• fleeingdaysfleeingdays 16 replies0 threads Junior Member
    If history is your passion or if you plan to major in something related to history or social sciences or even the humanities when/if you go to college then you definitely should take it. I personally got an A in the class and a 5 on the exam when I took it a long time ago (not trying to brag) and it was one of my favorite classes (history is a subject I am passionate about). The class is hard but very doable if you love history or are good at memorization and writing.
    · Reply · Share
  • XtremeBlaze777XtremeBlaze777 156 replies16 threads Junior Member
    Based on your course load, you should be able to. It will be hard and require work though (though it depends on your school). Also, Geometry and A2 in the same year?
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2078 replies33 threads Senior Member
    Does your school have World History? Our school has that as the first AP course, as a pre-requisite to APUSH, as it’s a bit easier.

You say you’re in regular history - is there an honors history you’re not taking? I suggested asking your current teacher, who should be a good judge of your capabilities.
    · Reply · Share
  • TS0104TS0104 1225 replies30 threads Senior Member
    How do you feel like you do in History, and do you like it? I've also heard it's one of the hardest high school classes (not counting super high level maths). My D struggled, my son breezed through, they always had similar grades but S liked History and I think that was the difference.

Honors Chem is a hard one too I think! Nice job on your grades so far!
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9108 replies91 threads Senior Member
    My D's APUSH course had a ton of writing but she loved it and got so much out of the class. I know she would recommend but it probably depends on your teacher. Can you talk to others at your school that have already taken the class?
    · Reply · Share
  • ccdipp13ccdipp13 7 replies1 threads New Member
    I have talked to my sister's friend who has taken the class and she said it was a pretty easy class for her, and that it wasn't as much writing as she thought it would be. Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 15
    Yeah, at my school you take APUSH and then AP World, which is a bit weird from other schools.

There is an Honors U.S History that I could have taken, but I didn't take it because I was afraid of ruining my GPA (which is a bad fear ik).
    edited January 15
    · Reply · Share
    I am looking into going into Journalism, hence why I am trying out Journalism 1, and why I thought I needed to take more History/other Humanities courses.
    · Reply · Share
  • koalasareextinctkoalasareextinct 9 replies0 threads New Member
    I would take APUSH if you're really into history and writing. Part of the exam requires you to write a DBQ, or an essay based on sources, and the course itself will have writing in it. I'm currently taking it and the workload is manageable (it just has a lot of reading homework), but I would totally recommend.
    · Reply · Share
  • XtremeBlaze777XtremeBlaze777 156 replies16 threads Junior Member
    ccdipp13 wrote: »
    There is an Honors U.S History that I could have taken, but I didn't take it because I was afraid of ruining my GPA (which is a bad fear ik).
    The honors boost to the GPA prob would have balanced it out anyway. I, like you, only took one honors course in freshman year and it severely crippled my weighted GPA and is biting me in the back with college admissions. The worst part is, I didn't even have to put in that much effort for As so I easily had the time that could have been devoted towards honors classes had I taken them.
    ccdipp13 wrote: »
    I am looking into going into Journalism, hence why I am trying out Journalism 1, and why I thought I needed to take more History/other Humanities courses.
    Then why two math courses in the same year? It is very interesting that you have the option to do that though, generally one is a prereq for the other.
    · Reply · Share
    Oh I just did that because I also enjoyed my math class this year and wanted to take AP stats my senior year. At my school freshman who take Algebra 1 and do well have the option to take the two at the same time so they can take AP or regular Calc or Stats senior year
    · Reply · Share
    Without "doubling-up", this track Senior year you would take Pre-Calc.
    · Reply · Share
  • moonlitpoemsmoonlitpoems 24 replies1 threads Junior Member
    how difficult is the APUSH test?
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU 14376 replies103 threads Forum Champion
    Look at your HS's student handbook...what is the normal History progression? US History, World History, APUSH, ?
    Also talk to your GC...should you take APUSH junior year? Do most kids take it junior year?
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 18
    UPDATE: I actually decided to take AP Seminar instead, I could take both but I don't want to overwhelm myself with work (I play two sports and do a bunch of other ECs). I really liked the interdisciplinary work in AP Seminar, and I think I would use the skills I learned from it in the future. Thanks for all the help!
    edited February 18
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 945 replies7 threads Member
    Are you taking AP Seminar in place of history?

That would have you taking
    3 ELA classes: English 10, Journalism, and AP Seminar
    2 math classes geometry and algebra 2
    chemistry
    Spanish

I would drop a English class and take history or at least talk to your guidance counselor to make sure your on track for what you need history wise.

If As come easy in regular I would move up to honors in any class the teacher recommends it.

APUSH is a 10th grade class at our high school - the order for APUSH and APWorld does not matter the same way that math does. Follow your school's history progression and you'll be fine. However it is a big jump from regular to AP in general, perhaps honors is a better option for 10th then move up after that
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 19
    I am taking U.S History 2 next year and AP Seminar instead of English 2. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    My schedule for next year would be:

Honors Chem
    Ap Seminar
    Journalism 1 (elective)
    Algebra 2
    Geometry 1
    U.S History 2
    Spanish 3
    Gym/Drivers E.D

I would move up to Honors instead but they got rid of many honors English classes at my school recently. For example, AP Seminar replaced Honors English 2 AP Lang replaced Honors English 3. I got recommended for both APUSH and AP Seminar, but I really just didn't want to kill myself with work.
    edited February 19
    · Reply · Share