right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Is it worth it?

teklehaimnot-adraishayteklehaimnot-adraishay 9 replies7 threads Junior Member
If you are doing band, is it any good for college application if you don't show any leadership in it? Such as just going to band for an easy class.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is it worth it?

• JeJeJeJeJeJe 235 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I think that most universities appreciate band students because they have ensembles, orchestras and marching bands to fill. They also acknowledge students to be a team player. You don’t need to be a leader in your school band. However, some particular instruments maybe help more.

Continue Band at high school if you like enjoying playing music with your friends at some degree. It can be easy “A” but is sure time consuming sometimes.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2078 replies33 threads Senior Member
    Band isn’t a core course and won’t add to academic rigor. But no student has (nor should have) eight core AP courses on a schedule. Having other interests are important, and most schools would prefer to see a music, choir, art, etc. class mixed in to show a rounded person.

To me, band is at the upper end of value of these courses. You need to work with others in a collaborative effort, and music has fundamental math underpinning it, whether you realize it or not.

Don’t enroll in band for the first time as a senior thinking it will be impressive. But if you’ve been in band, and it interests you/you enjoy it, absolutely continue.
    · Reply · Share