right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Schools are not offering in-person tours because of COVID-19, but many offer virtual tours. Check out our directory of virtual campus tours we know about right now.
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!

AP Statistics v. APES? Other options? Senior Schedule Troubles

dxddy.pdfdxddy.pdf 2 replies2 threads New Member
Hi all! I'm currently struggling to decide between AP Statistics and APES or a few other classes for my senior year schedule and would like advice. For reference, my past classes have been:
Freshman Year: H English, H Integrated 2, H Biology, Spanish 1, PE, Health/CCP
Sophomore Year: H English, H Integrated 3, AP Chemistry, Spanish 2, PE, Photography, H World History
Junior Year: AP Lang, H Pre-Calc, AP Biology, Spanish 3, AP Seminar, APUSH

For senior year, my planned schedule is currently:
AP Lit, AP Calc BC, AP Spanish, AP Research, Gov/Econ, (APES, or AP Stats, or AP Photo, or ASB)

I think that I would enjoy stats more as a class, but I don't know if it's worth giving up a fourth year of science. I look to major in either business or a pre-med, and would like advice for which to take. AP Photography and a student body class are offered as well, which would be more fun for senior year as well, as options.

I look to attend one of the UC schools, UCLA as a dream school but also possibly irvine, or san diego, something of that style.

Thank you!
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: AP Statistics v. APES? Other options? Senior Schedule Troubles

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 9266 replies93 threads Senior Member
    You should take some level of physics.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 29856 replies324 threads Forum Champion
    Concur with @momofsenior1. If the UC’s are your target schools, then they like to see Biology/Chemistry and Physics for your science classes. It does have to be AP or even Honors.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 81261 replies729 threads Senior Member
    Agree with others that physics is probably the answer.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2078 replies33 threads Senior Member
    edited February 20
    Agree on Physics.

And AP Photography is not a thing. Unless your school has some relationship with Associated Press.
    edited February 20
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35303 replies399 threads Senior Member
    And what we're saying, beyond physics, is that neither stats nor APES will have the same impact. The latter two are not cores. Nor photog (except as an art credit. There are some high schools which offer an AP photog class.)

Be sure you're speaking with your GC about these choices and that your stats put you in line for one of the UCs.
    · Reply · Share