right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

High School Research

CinnamonRoll59CinnamonRoll59 2 replies2 threads New Member
Hello, I am currently a high school junior, and I want to conduct research of some kind. I am interested in mathematics and statistics, but I do not exactly know how to proceed. If I just looked up old data on some arbitrary topic and recycled it, would it really be any new research that would be worthy of publication?

I could email the professors at my local university to ask if I could help with what they are working on, but I wonder if they would see me, a student who has not taken Multivariable Calculus yet, as worthwhile. Also, I will be at a 2-week math camp this summer, and my family might go on a vacation, so that could limit the time that I am available (especially with COVID-19).

I am not sure how to begin my research journey, so any advice or insight that any of you have with first steps would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
1 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: High School Research

• CinnamonRoll59CinnamonRoll59 2 replies2 threads New Member
    One topic idea I have is looking at the innate causes of varying intelligence (e.g. genetic data). For this, would I even need to set up an primary experiment, or would I just look through existing genetic databases? Is anecdotal evidence valid in addition to empirical evidence? Would I need a higher-up “advisor” for this? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share