right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

AP Stats or Lunch?

woopwoop123woopwoop123 0 replies1 threads New Member
I'm currently a freshman, and I'm scheduled to take English, AP World History, Chemistry, Honors Alg 2 / Trig, and Honors Spanish. I also enrolled in AP Stats, but I realized that if I do take AP Stats next year, I will have to drop my only lunch period to do so. Would it be worth it to take AP Stats while sacrificing my lunch period, or should I keep my lunch period so that I can try to enroll in AP Stats for junior year? I'm leaning towards the latter, since I'm not very confident in my math skills, but at the same time, I'm not sure if I'll be able to qualify to take AP Stats for my junior year, since the requirements are quite high.
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: AP Stats or Lunch?

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3449 replies78 threads Senior Member
    Take a lunch.
    · Reply · Share
  • TS0104TS0104 1406 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Take the lunch. Will your school even let you schedule classes leaving you with no lunch period?

If you are worried about the course, and being eligible for it, another year of math and maturity will only help those matters.
    · Reply · Share
  • Muad_dibMuad_dib 943 replies28 threads Member
    No high school should let you drop a lunch period just so you can squeeze in another class.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43234 replies471 threads Senior Member
    AP stats is just an elective.
    You're evidently on the honors math track and would have Honors precalculus junior year, and honors of calculus or AP calculus AB or BC senior year.
    AP stats is no different from any other elective you'd take out of personal interest and is best kept for senior year.
    In any case you should never kip lunch. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11376 replies152 threads Senior Member
    Depends upon how important lunch is to you & upon whether or not you can handle such a heavy courseload.

If you need a mid-day meal, then keep your lunch period.

Have you discussed this with your advisor / school counselor ? (Skippping lunch may not even be an option for you.)
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83491 replies741 threads Senior Member
    AP statistics (or the introductory college statistics courses that it emulates) typically has a prerequisite of algebra 2 (intermediate algebra). So wait until you finish algebra 2 to take it as an elective. It is best to continue on the main math track of precalculus and calculus, whether or not you also take AP statistics.
    · Reply · Share
  • Danisagreatguy2004Danisagreatguy2004 5 replies12 threads Junior Member
    Take lunch. Your in no rush right now, assuming your going to be a sophomore this year. Quite frankly, your ahead of most your peers. Therefore, stick with lunch.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24039 replies2410 threads Super Moderator
    Agree, take lunch.
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 993 replies7 threads Senior Member
    Lunch is not just about food but a chance to talk to friends etc - enjoy it for what it is and don't just think what is best for college admissions. At times you need to focus on there here and now.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2boys1999mom2boys1999 158 replies14 threads Junior Member
    While not every state has laws mandating it, there are some counties that require students be given a set number of minutes for lunch. Are you sure skipping lunch will be an option?

At our school, students use lunch for meeting with teachers, hanging with friends, last minute studying or homework completion. Some of the club advisors also have lunch meetings or tasks during that time. Missing lunch everyday seems for AP Stat seems like an off kilter idea- what’s the pro?!
    · Reply · Share
  • 123365123365 71 replies29 threads Junior Member
    lunch is more worth it than another AP class. Most public schools have lunch period as a state requirement. It's also not worth it for your physical or mental health to skip lunch since lunch lets you eat and enjoy your peers.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2281 replies36 threads Senior Member
    edited July 3
    Would it be worth it to take AP Stats while sacrificing my lunch period,
    Absolutely not.
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to qualify to take AP Stats for my junior year, since the requirements are quite high.
    What requirements do you meet today that you will be unable to meet in the future?

From the course/test developer:
    Recommended Prerequisites
    A second-year course in algebra
    edited July 3
    · Reply · Share
  • Happytimes2001Happytimes2001 2168 replies18 threads Senior Member
    Lunch is always better than anything else.
    · Reply · Share
  • cherry_creme174cherry_creme174 12 replies9 threads Junior Member
    Hi! I was a freshman last year and took AP World, Honors Algebra 2 w/ Trig, Honors Bio, and Honors French, and all of those classes were totally manageable. I recommend dropping AP Statistics though, I found that it's way easier taking it after HA2 w/T because a lot of the concepts overlap and you'll have a much easier time taking it if you have Algebra 2 concepts down already.
    · Reply · Share
  • NASA2014NASA2014 2386 replies135 threads Senior Member
    Lunch is not just about food but a chance to talk to friends etc - enjoy it for what it is and don't just think what is best for college admissions. At times you need to focus on there here and now.

Also to relax. Sad that kids nowadays are trying to take as many AP classes as they can so they can get into a good college.
    · Reply · Share