right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Scheduling Conflict

shazamsamshazamsam 10 replies3 threads New Member
Hello all! I hope you are doing well. I have a scheduling conflict and that is I cannot take French 3 because I am taking two dual enrollment courses, which take up my first period. French 3 is taught in 1st and 7th Period, but I can't do 7th Period because I have two dual enrollment courses. I really need to take French 3 if I want to major in French. What should I do?
24 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Scheduling Conflict

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 10405 replies123 threads Senior Member
    What are the DE courses? What does the rest of your schedule look like and what have you already taken?
    · Reply · Share
  • shazamsamshazamsam 10 replies3 threads New Member
    DE: ENGL 1101 (T and Th, 7:30 AM-8:45AM) and HIST 2111 (M and W, same time) (both take up first period, which is 8:35-9:26 AM)
    I have five other periods from 9:31 am - 3:45 pm. My counselor can't put me in French 3 for 1st pd because of DE and also not for 7th pd because I am taking 2 DE courses. Since I am taking 2 DE, my 7th period is free.
    In 9th Grade, I've taken French 1, Alg 1/Geom A, Drama 1, Biology, 9th Grade Lit/Comp, Orchestra. In 10th Grade, I've taken Intro to Digital Tech, Gifted Chem, Geom B/Alg 2, 10th Grade Lit/Comp, Orchestra, French 2, and AP World.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10405 replies123 threads Senior Member
    Are there no 11th grade english and history options offered at your school?

If your goal is to major in french, I would think that should be the priority?
    · Reply · Share
    There are but I already signed up for those classes and I need to save time and money. I also want to major in Computer Science and orchestra.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 8
    Because she couldn't schedule me for French 3, she is able to schedule my alternative, which is SAT Prep/Mythology (each for 1 semester) but I do not want or need to take those)
    edited July 8
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2447 replies39 threads Senior Member
    shazamsam wrote: »
    There are but I already signed up for those classes and I need to save time and money.
    If there are viable alternatives that you’ve already decided you’re not going to take, then there’s not much that can be done.

Why does taking courses during first period mean you have to leave 7th period free instead of a course you want to take?
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24165 replies2426 threads Super Moderator
    Can you take French at the college or with an accredited online school?
    · Reply · Share
  • NASA2014NASA2014 2388 replies135 threads Senior Member
    I'm really confused about this post.

Why wouldn't you take SAT Prep/Mythology? IS there no English and history class offered at your high school?
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 998 replies7 threads Senior Member
    it sounds like you are trying to do it all and it just isn't working - you have to decide what is the most important to you and work with the school. I think you might find that taking French 3 will make you more competitive to colleges since many look for level 3 of a language (and not having it can be an easy way to weed out people if they wish) even if you are not majoring in a language.

· Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83821 replies743 threads Senior Member
    edited July 10
    DE: ENGL 1101 (T and Th, 7:30 AM-8:45AM) and HIST 2111 (M and W, same time) (both take up first period, which is 8:35-9:26 AM)
    I have five other periods from 9:31 am - 3:45 pm. My counselor can't put me in French 3 for 1st pd because of DE and also not for 7th pd because I am taking 2 DE courses. Since I am taking 2 DE, my 7th period is free.

If there is a limitation on the number of courses you are allowed to take, why can't you make some other period free so that you can take French 3 in 7th period?

What are the other courses you want to take?
    edited July 10
    · Reply · Share
    They do not want to overfill my schedule or something like that.
    · Reply · Share
    sat prep and mythology were my alternatives for electives
    · Reply · Share
    I do not want to take french at the college because I do not want to confuse my schedule and I am trying to learn french step-by-step
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 41060 replies7705 threads Super Moderator
    They do not want to overfill my schedule or something like that.

List your entire schedule. It's hard to give advice with only part of the story.
    · Reply · Share
  • user4321user4321 207 replies2 threads Junior Member
    edited July 14
    My counselor can't put me in French 3 for 1st pd because of DE and also not for 7th pd because I am taking 2 DE courses. Since I am taking 2 DE, my 7th period is free.
    Not quite getting this @shazamsam, is 7th period free for French 3 or not? You are correct, taking French in high school is a really good idea
    edited July 14
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 998 replies7 threads Senior Member
    it sounds like your only allowed so many classes which include dual enrollment classes and since your at the max allowed you need to take study hall 7th period by whatever name they call it. If that is the case I would talk to your guidance counselor and ask if you can swap out a class that is not a core class for French which is one.
    · Reply · Share
    So why can't you leave a free period or study hall instead of SAT prep / mythology so that you can take French 3 during 7th period?
    · Reply · Share
    user4321 wrote: »
    My counselor can't put me in French 3 for 1st pd because of DE and also not for 7th pd because I am taking 2 DE courses. Since I am taking 2 DE, my 7th period is free.
    Not quite getting this @shazamsam, is 7th period free for French 3 or not? You are correct, taking French in high school is a really good idea

AP physics 1 is taught 1st, 2nd, and 7th period. I was put in ap physics 7th period because I was taken up for 1st and 2nd period since i am taking 2 DE courses. Even though I am not taking anything 2nd period, the 2nd DE course still "takes up" the 2nd period slot.
    · Reply · Share
    Here is my schedule:

01)

DE: Adv Composition

02)

DE: US History

03)

SAT Prep (1st semester)

Mythology B (2nd semester)

04)

Adv Orchestra

05)

Acc CC Pre-Calculus

06)

AP Computer Sci Principles

07)

AP Physics I
    · Reply · Share
    [AP physics 1 is taught 1st, 2nd, and 7th period. I was put in ap physics 7th period because I was taken up for 1st and 2nd period since i am taking 2 DE courses. Even though I am not taking anything 2nd period, the 2nd DE course still "takes up" the 2nd period slot.

This seems like a stupid policy. Try to get your parents to push harder on the school, since the more sensible schedule would be:

1st (MW) college English
    1st (TuTh) college history
    (41 minutes commuting time between)
    2nd AP physics 1
    3rd free
    4th orchestra
    5th precalculus
    6th AP CS principles
    7th French 3

If your and your parents' pushing hard on the school does not work, is there any physics offered 3rd period so that you can take it then and have 7th for French 3?
    · Reply · Share