right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

AP Biology or AP Physics?

idkanymorelolidkanymorelol 42 replies26 threads Junior Member
Hi, so I am going to be a junior coming up soon (for hs), and was wondering what science class I should take. Keep in mind, I want to major in psychology.

AP Bio - very helpful for a future psych major (so i’m told).

AP Physics 1 - very difficult, teacher isn’t too good, and typically not needed for a psych major.

I would just go with AP Bio, but I’m told that you need physics in high school for colleges. Any suggestions would help!
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: AP Biology or AP Physics?

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31017 replies479 threads Forum Champion
    edited July 27
    Take AP Biology this year and consider doing AP Physics or Honors or Regular Physics Senior year. You do not need to take all AP science classes.

Depending upon which schools you are targeting for Undergrad, yes many schools like to see Biology/Chemistry and Physics as are part of your HS curriculum.
    edited July 27
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2810 replies48 threads Senior Member
    Have you taken any Physics at all? Yes, you really should have all 3 at some point. They aren’t technically “required” at most schools, but they are expected and most applicants to will have them.

What makes you think Physics 1 is very hard. To me, it’s the equivalent of an initial honors HS Physics course. AP Physics C is where it gets difficult. But AP Bio would be in the same tier as Physics C.

Is the a non-AP Physics option?
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24432 replies2460 threads Super Moderator
    edited July 27
    You should take a sequence of bio, chem and physics in HS. If you have already taken HS physics then go ahead and take AP Bio. If you haven't I would take a physics course although it doesn't necessarily have to be an AP class.
    edited July 27
    · Reply · Share
  • CCTO857CCTO857 12 replies2 threads New Member
    I would take AP Bio. If you want to take Physics, or if it's required for applications, then take Physics senior year.
    · Reply · Share