right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Should I take AP studio art if i'm a senior?

estemos12estemos12 7 replies5 threads New Member
edited September 10 in High School Life
I watch all these videos of people getting a 5 on their AP studio art exam, but they also mention they have been taking that class for over 2 years. I am a senior and I am debating if I should take that class if I only have a year to make 28 pieces to send to college board for the final exam. I love drawing and am good at it, but am wondering if one year is enough to do the exam.
edited September 10
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I take AP studio art if i'm a senior?

• skieuropeskieurope 41961 replies8189 threads Super Moderator
    edited September 10
    One year is more than enough time to assemble a portfolio. And it is not 28 works; it's 15. They eliminated the breadth requirement last year, even before Covid. And even on the old days, some of the images could be double counted, so it was. never 28 unique pieces.

Whether the class is worthwhile for you ir you have the requisite background to succeed ate different questions.
    edited September 10
    · Reply · Share
  • estemos12estemos12 7 replies5 threads New Member
    thank you!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU 14626 replies107 threads Forum Champion
    Also think about:
    Do you enjoy drawing?
    Do you want to continue in College?
    Is there other courses you could take instead?
    Are you taking other AP classes?
    · Reply · Share
  • estemos12estemos12 7 replies5 threads New Member
    Well in college I think everyone needs an art credit so that might come urselful. I’m applying to music colleges. I’m also taking AP music theory and AP lit this year.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 41961 replies8189 threads Super Moderator
    estemos12 wrote: »
    Well in college I think everyone needs an art credit so that might come urselful. I’m applying to music colleges. I’m also taking AP music theory and AP lit this year.

Unless you are going to an art school, the colleges that require art are few. And AP Studio Art is a course that many colleges give no credit for.

Neither, though, is a reason not to take the course.

Although hopefully taking both AP Art and AP Music Theory is not at the expense of a core course fulfilling your target colleges recommendation for HS preparation.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 8021 replies39 threads Senior Member
    For different reasons my daughter built her portfolio taking drawing /painting classes outside of school. Where we live there is many places to do this. If you have your core classes and don't need another type of AP instead then do what you enjoy.
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1652 replies46 threads Senior Member
    my daughter took AP Studio; AP music theory and AP art history her senior year. She loved them.

Her college choice didn't accept credits from APstudio or AP art history for her major but they were integral to her choice of major. (architecture).

one thing you can do is look at colleges you are interested in; and see what AP classes they give credit for. And then specifically for majors that you might want. Maybe it'll help you decide.
    · Reply · Share