Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

List of Top, Prestigious Awards

Replies to: List of Top, Prestigious Awards

• smder99smder99 Registered User Posts: 802 Member
    I think National AP Scholar should be higher ranked...you have to pass 8 AP Exams with an average score of 4.0...thats a lot of exams IMO
  • apathyapathy Registered User Posts: 590 Member
    updated list:
    10 - D1 athlete, IMO (etc.) gold medals
    9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO
    8 - TASP/RSI, USPhO, USChO, USABO, MITES
    7 - other selective summer programs or competitions, such as YES, SSP, Clark Scholarships, Scholastic Art and Writing
    6 - National Merit Finalist
    4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other language, Prudential Spirit of Community Award, National AP Scholar
    3 -
    2 - Bank of America Awards
    1 -
    0 - Who's Who, National Honor Roll

people should give their opinions on the rankings too.
  • -Lurker--Lurker- Registered User Posts: 1,420 Senior Member
    TASP and RSI should be 9's IMO
  • bernie_gabriellebernie_gabrielle Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Where would something like New York All-State Choir be? You need at least a 99 or 100 on NYSSMA level 6 (highest level) to even be considered.
  • fizixfizix Registered User Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    updated list:
    10 - D1 athlete, IMO (etc.) gold medals, placing at Intel
    9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO
    7 - other selective summer programs or competitions, such as YES, SSP, Clark Scholarships, Scholastic Art and Writing
    4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other language, Prudential Spirit of Community Award, National AP Scholar
    3 -
    2 - Bank of America Awards, most local awards/trophies
    1 - National Honor Society, Beta Club, etc.
  • emylaemyla Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    I'm not too sure where the level of All-State music groups should be. In my state, it is not too hard if you are a very good [not great] musician...but New York is probably harder.
  • twinkletoes23twinkletoes23 Registered User Posts: 818 Member
    I think National AP scholar should switch with National Merit. There are only 400-or so pre-seniors (the summer before senior year) who get the award. National merit is way more.
  • PurpoisePalPurpoisePal Registered User Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO, Scholastic Art and Writing
    7 - other selective summer programs or competitions, such as YES, SSP, Clark Scholarships,
    3 -
    2 - Bank of America Awards, most local awards/trophies, Essay Contests
    1 - National Honor Society, Beta Club, etc.
  • smder99smder99 Registered User Posts: 802 Member
    I agree with TwinkleToes...it is VERY difficult and much more rare to qualify for National AP Scholar after junior year than to qualify for NM Semi-Finalist....same goes with State Scholar

9 - ISEF/S-W, USAMO, Scholastic Art and Writing, AP State Scholar AFTER Junior Year
    7 - other selective summer programs or competitions, such as YES, SSP, Clark Scholarships,
    6 - National Merit Finalist, National AP Scholar AFTER Junior Year
    5 - AP Scholar w/ Honor OR Distinction
    4- Perfect Score (Multiple Years) on National Latin Exam, or other language, Prudential Spirit of Community Award, AP Scholar
    3 -
    2 - Bank of America Awards, most local awards/trophies, Essay Contests
    1 - National Honor Society, Beta Club, School Departmental Awards
  • twinkletoes23twinkletoes23 Registered User Posts: 818 Member
    i still think AP National Scholar should be higher than national merit. Just because i'm an AP national scholar but i missed national merit by one question (two points)

LOL. it's all about me
  • CC AdminCC Admin Administrator Posts: 32,373 Senior Member
    What would Golden Gloves Champion be ranked? Such as 2007 New Jersey Gloden Gloves Winner. Does that count for much?
  • arkleseizurearkleseizure Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    Why does nobody ever notice USACO (USA Computing Olympiad)? The top 15 go to Colorado over the summer (roughly equivalent to the corresponding USAMO ranking), then the top 4 become the US IOI (International Olympiad in Informatics) team. Although it's (apparently) not as well known, I'd rank it up there with the other USA_Os.
  • kcarlskcarls Registered User Posts: 349 Member
    anything you have to pay for shouldn't even be on the list.

Careful, all. Masterus is bound to show up on this thread eventually, and as much as we all enjoy a good laugh, we'd better get the serious discussion through with before he shows up...
  • -Lurker--Lurker- Registered User Posts: 1,420 Senior Member
    rofl kcarl
  • kryptonsa36kryptonsa36 Registered User Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    For those awards that are applicable (such as NMF, in that it is awarded after college apps are due but before final decisions are made), what number do you all think is a good cut-off as to which awards should be updated to your schools?

I would have normally put it at 8+, but a lot of people seem to put NMF in high regard, even though over 90% of NMSFs get it and it is not an award that will make you stand out of the applicant pool to a competitive school. Or would most people just report everything down to level 2, such as small scholarships or local competitions?