Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is this what your high school's foreign language curriculum is like?

2»

Replies to: Is this what your high school's foreign language curriculum is like?

• KaznackKaznack Registered User Posts: 1,985 Senior Member
    Usually, here, we take Lang. 1 and Lang. 2 in 7th and 8th grade, then work up to AP in senior year.
  • SomethingWittySomethingWitty Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    Here, AP option is always senior year, unless you speak the language at home, then it's likely junior year. Language I is stretched out through seventh and eighth grade. I take Italian, so my courses were: Italian IA - Grade 7, and Italian IB - grade 8. I feel that was a complete waste of a year, as we learned the same things in both IA and IB, and we didn't improve our fluency at all from seventh to eighth grade.

Anyway, freshman year continues as Language II, then Language III (which I'll be entering) in sophomore year, and Language IV in junior year. Then, depending on which language you take and how well you have scored on tests (assessments at the end of IB and III and NYS Regents exams at the end of IV), you can option for Language V or AP. Only Italian, French, and Spanish is offered at my school in general, and only Italian and Spanish offer AP's. Italian offers AP Language and Culture, and Spanish offers AP Language, Geography, and some other things - I'm not familiar with the Spanish program. You're fluent by AP depending on which teachers you have over the years. I've taken the liberty of teaching myself some further Italian, so I'm hoping to be fluent in spite of the techers.

Yeah, the curriculum pretty much sucks. ;)
  • zivalichazivalicha Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    Well, I'm in German, so I'm not sure of the French or Spanish curriculum, but I can say that parts are similar to the German curriculum.

Basically, in German I, we learn survival vocabulary and very basic grammar (nominative case, accusative case, conversational past tense, and modals.)

Survival vocabulary would include colors, weather, health, education, food, fashion, etc, the basics. There's also some random vocabulary such as fairy tale vocab which goes along with the book series we learn.

In German II, a good chunk of grammar is taught: dative case, genitive case, narrative past tense, future tense, adjective endings, and subordinate clauses). Vocabulary is expanded quite a bit to a little more specific vocabulary.

In German III, the final part of basic German grammar is taught: subjunctive sentences, relative clauses, da and wo compounds, zu infinitives, and passive voice. Vocabulary focuses on some specific areas, but mainly German history and culture is taught through the story of Sophie Scholl. In this level, we read a play, a short historical story, and watch two German films: Europa! Europa! and Sophie Scholl: die letzten Tage.

Next year, I'm taking German IV, and this is where unique vocab and more necessary vocab is emphasized: everything from specific foods to German culture to slang. Also, culture is taught through a novel and lots and lots of discussion. Basically, German IV is reading and speaking.

In German II, III, and IV, journals are written every 2-3 weeks.

So, yeah, similar-ish in a few areas, I guess.
  • nhsharvardnhsharvard Registered User Posts: 1,947 Senior Member
    For French and Spanish at my school, you take the coresponding AP after 3 years of the language. My school doesn't offer AP French, but it offers French 4. People in French 4 self-study for the AP test.

My school has AP Spanish.

I took 3 semesters of French at some colleges(com. cols. and CSUS). I'm starting my 4th semester this Fall. If my school had AP French, then I'd take AP French there, too.
  • sevitagensevitagen Registered User Posts: 880 Member
    it's sort of like that...

Latin levels I, II, III, IV, and V are offered in both their Academic and Honors versions.

with AP Latin Vergil and AP Latin Literature offered after the completion of Latin III.

It's the same thing for the other languages offered at my school; Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Italian.
  • nataliexcorenataliexcore Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    basically. my school is pretty hood but we have good spanish teachers. i learned a lot. i can actually eavesdrop on mexican people at walmart now.
  • EverLaneEverLane Registered User Posts: 345 Member
    not really (french), for the topics we kinda skip around a lot and miss some of the basic here and there, our book's AWFUL at presenting the vocab, give us things we'll probably never use...
2»
This discussion has been closed.