Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is this what your high school's foreign language curriculum is like?

blairtblairt Registered User Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
edited August 2007 in High School Life

Replies to: Is this what your high school's foreign language curriculum is like?

• PurpoisePalPurpoisePal Registered User Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    No. Mine's not like that at all. (French)
  • MasterusMasterus . Posts: 1,296 Senior Member
    My school finishes grammar in Spanish 4, we have Spanish 1,2,3,4,5,AP Language, AP Literature and 6 for the kids not in AP. French is different.
  • a778999a778999 Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    for French, we're memorizing useless crap like capitals of African countries
  • teaspo0nteaspo0n Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    Yes, except it's even further behind and for assessment, all we do is worksheets and tests. The class is composed almost entirely of busywork. It's awful.
  • Jonathan1Jonathan1 Registered User Posts: 5,744 Senior Member
    Masterus, AP Language is the sixth level course for your school? At most schools it's fourth.
  • MasterusMasterus . Posts: 1,296 Senior Member
    We're basicly fluent by AP. The bad thing is that if I went to another school, I'd be doing AP Spanish Literature this year instead of Spanish 5H. I just moved into AP Spanish Language though.
  • Jonathan1Jonathan1 Registered User Posts: 5,744 Senior Member
    Oh, I see.
  • silverpetalsilverpetal Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    the french curriculum is sort of similar to the one posted especially the grammar part. as for the others, we really don't devote too much time on that. it's either grammar revisions or french literature.

it may have something to do with being in a french immersion school (half of my classes are in french)...
  • sockssocks Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    that curriculum is very similar to my school for french , a little less similar for spanish... althought i dont really know for certain since i skipped some levels of french and spanish
  • Ilovesoftball44Ilovesoftball44 Registered User Posts: 1,497 Senior Member
    At my school, the level 4 and five course, would be French III at my school. As far as Latin, Latin I and II would be Latin I at my school.
  • chickenboi8008chickenboi8008 Registered User Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    for spanish it sorta is
  • JBVirtuosoJBVirtuoso Registered User Posts: 4,579 Senior Member
    This thread is being resurrected from the abyss.

My regular non-AP non-honors Spanish curriculum is more advanced than that.
  • proletariat2proletariat2 Registered User Posts: 3,519 Senior Member
    At my school, AP Language is the fifth. It's weird, we have a decelarated curriculum with no way to opt out besides test-outs.
  • JakorJakor Registered User Posts: 914 Member
    Spanish is.
  • southeasttitansoutheasttitan Registered User Posts: 1,928 Senior Member
    At our school, AP Spanish is usually taken after sixth year, though you have an option to take it after fifth. But our curriculum is different, we learned subjunctive etc. in third year and mastered it in fourth. We definitely don't cover prayer as a topic, being a public school and all. :) And we usually don't look specifically at vocab, we just read a lot of books and stories and pick up vocab on our own.
This discussion has been closed.