Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2006-07 Siemens Awards for AP

Replies to: 2006-07 Siemens Awards for AP

• kryptonsa36kryptonsa36 Registered User Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    Masterus, this award has nothing to do with those given out by Collegeboard (such as National or State AP Scholars). Siemens AP Awards are given out solely on the basis of math/science AP scores, and it's probably actually awarded based on the exact point scores students get on these math/science tests, since lots of students are going to have 5s on multiple math/science tests.
  • sakuragirlsakuragirl Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    Ahhh>< It's scary how many Chinese names are on that list.
  • fizixfizix Registered User Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    http://www.siemens-foundation.org/documents/SAAPRelease2007.pdf
    Up to 100 students (potentially one female and one male in each state) receive a $2,000 college scholarship for earning the greatest number of grades of 5 on the following AP courses: Biology, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science AB, Environmental Science, Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism, Physics C: Mechanics, and Statistics. Students must obtain a grade of 5 on at least three of these exams to qualify. Two national winners (one male and one female with greatest number of grades of 5) will be awarded a $5,000 college scholarship.

For those seeking an idea of how many APs are needed, the girl I know who won this award only had 5s on six of these. But perhaps Florida is an uncompetitive state.
  • mewantcollegemewantcollege Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    dang it...shoulda moved to west virginia...
  • iin77iin77 Registered User Posts: 828 Member
    Well on the site, it said it only counts 8 APs, all maths and sciences. So I'm guessing no one got 20. And it sounds like it only counts 5s.

Oh, thanks fizix, didn't see that post the first time...
  • MasterusMasterus . Posts: 1,296 Senior Member
    No, this is to win the award, not AP State Scholar. AP State Scholar requires 15+ APs. The Collegeboard recommends students to Siemens and the majority of the students recommended are AP State Scholar already.
  • a778999a778999 Registered User Posts: 1,520 Senior Member
    To win this award, you must have the most 5s in your gender and state for science and math exams. You must have at least three 5s to qualify, which is why there are only 46 states.
  • Rhapsody in GreenRhapsody in Green Registered User Posts: 355 Member
    My name's on that list!

And just to clarify, the award is given to the male and female in each to state who gets 5s on the greatest number of math and science AP tests before his or her senior year. Ties are broken by composite scores on the individual tests. It's completely different from the awards given by collegeboard, such as AP State Scholar, although Collegeboard cooperates with Siemens in running the contest.
  • eugeniaeugenia Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    hahah
    both of the people from california are from my school
    probably because anyone who takes less than 3 APs is considered inferior :)
  • lackadaisylackadaisy Registered User Posts: 411 Member
    Hey Rhapsody - I am too! :) Yeah, and the Asian thing is pretty much, well, a reflection of life itself........ haha. Of course, I don't plan on doing math/science, so I feel a like I'm drowning in the stereotype a little bit.

So for people freaking out:
    I took four AP tests that qualified (Calc BC, Stats, Comp Sci AB, Chem) and got 5s on all of them. I also took five other AP tests that didn't count. Winning this was completely accidental.
    ^^^ What?! I got the exact same scores on the exact same tests and I didn't win! :(
  • Rhapsody in GreenRhapsody in Green Registered User Posts: 355 Member
    The number of 5s you need varies depending on your state and your gender.

On a side note, I had the same number as lackadaisy, and it was also completely accidental.
  • Gryffon5147Gryffon5147 Registered User Posts: 3,765 Senior Member
    God help these poor, poor souls...
  • kryptonsa36kryptonsa36 Registered User Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    Because Maryland students are up against the likes of Richard McCutcheon, a778999! :D

There's only one award per each guy and girl from a state, so indeed, this would be one of those "move-to-Wyoming-and-be-a-superstar" moments.
    Matt McCutchen is a genius.
This discussion has been closed.