right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

2006-07 Siemens Awards for AP

13»

Replies to: 2006-07 Siemens Awards for AP

• specifyspecify 725 replies1 threads Member
    Well you can just learn independently, but the tests are still expensive unless your school pays for it like mine.
    · Reply · Share
  • kaotic_spicekaotic_spice 182 replies4 threads Junior Member
    I wish I knew about this before my junior year started... my bio teacher is up there for like the 2nd or 3rd time XD
    · Reply · Share
  • 09xoxo09xoxo 625 replies27 threads Member
    schrizto..
    do you know how many of the science/math aps he took?
    · Reply · Share
  • fizixfizix 1743 replies70 threads Senior Member
    Of course the awards are biased. The CollegeBoard is under no obligation to give Siemens awards out based on environmental circumstances. Since it's the CollegeBoard's money, they have every right to give it away based on whatever selection criteria they want. If you're interested, there are plenty of organizations that do attempt to take environmental factors into consideration (most top colleges, scholarship programs, etc.).

And some organizations set even more seemingly "unfair" criteria, like "you must be a child of a McDonald's employee to get X scholarship." Clearly these sorts of awards are very biased towards children of McDonalds' employees. But there's no reason all three can't exist, at least not in a capitalist society like ours.

By the way, someone from my (public magnet) school got one of those awards, so I assure you they're not restricted to the wealthy.
    · Reply · Share
  • Thinhle88Thinhle88 7 replies0 threads New Member
    wow..
    hope their social life didn't drown down the drain
    · Reply · Share
  • kryptonsa36kryptonsa36 1721 replies14 threads Senior Member
    I am friends with 3 national winners.. and not a single one of them has sacrificed social life for smarts. (Suffice it to say that none of the state winners I know have done the same either.)
    · Reply · Share
  • LesOsLesOs 4525 replies20 threads Senior Member
    It's impossible to take more than two math/science APs at my school junior year.
    · Reply · Share
  • TwirlonwaterTwirlonwater 174 replies26 threads Junior Member
    Yes, only science/math count. I will ask Elise Liu. She was awarded it and goes to my school.
    · Reply · Share
  • mochamavenmochamaven 876 replies2 threads Member
    yayy my school is on there :-)
    · Reply · Share
  • conbrioconbrio 25 replies1 threads New Member
    I took 3 of those math/science exams in 9th grade and the rest of the five this year. I scored 5 on all 8 exams. I think I may have a chance to get on that list.
    Does anyone know when Seimens will announce the winners?
    thanks.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity