Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2006-07 Siemens Awards for AP

Replies to: 2006-07 Siemens Awards for AP

• schriztoschrizto Registered User Posts: 4,099 Senior Member
    My parents are friends with Allen Lin's parents, and the whole Asian community in the county went beserk about this. He took 13 APs and got 5s in all of them, and he's taking 3 more now . . . so that's like 16 in all.
  • piccolojuniorpiccolojunior - Posts: 2,629 Senior Member
    so is 7 out of 8 5s (with near perfect raw scores on each exam) enough to get it done in NY?
  • cooljoecooljoe Registered User Posts: 771 Member
    What do they do in case of a tie?
  • Rhapsody in GreenRhapsody in Green Registered User Posts: 355 Member
    They compare composite scores on each of the exams.
  • cooljoecooljoe Registered User Posts: 771 Member
    When you mean composite, you mean the raw scores, not SAT or ACT scores?
    no....why do that?

The only way to assure yourself of a national award is to get perfect 5's on as many exams as possible...to give you an idea, I'm feeling perfectos in stat, chem, both physics, and computer science. I took calc BC and bio last year and got near-perfects on both of those, and yet even I feel skeptical because of Environmental Science (I don't think I will get more than a 120 out of 150 on it, with about 60 of my points probably coming from the FRQ)
  • blairtblairt Registered User Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    Was there one white kid on that list?
    LOL! Probably an all-asian sweep.
  • blairtblairt Registered User Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    oh, wait I found one! he goes to my old school.. never knew him though.
  • southeasttitansoutheasttitan Registered User Posts: 1,928 Senior Member
    Can I state again how INCREDIBLY biased these awards are to wealthy suburban/private school students? There is not a single private school in my city that offers 8 APs, much less 15 or twenty.
  • specifyspecify Registered User Posts: 726 Member
    Well you can just learn independently, but the tests are still expensive unless your school pays for it like mine.
  • kaotic_spicekaotic_spice Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    I wish I knew about this before my junior year started... my bio teacher is up there for like the 2nd or 3rd time XD
  • 09xoxo09xoxo Registered User Posts: 652 Member
    schrizto..
    do you know how many of the science/math aps he took?
  • fizixfizix Registered User Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Of course the awards are biased. The CollegeBoard is under no obligation to give Siemens awards out based on environmental circumstances. Since it's the CollegeBoard's money, they have every right to give it away based on whatever selection criteria they want. If you're interested, there are plenty of organizations that do attempt to take environmental factors into consideration (most top colleges, scholarship programs, etc.).

And some organizations set even more seemingly "unfair" criteria, like "you must be a child of a McDonald's employee to get X scholarship." Clearly these sorts of awards are very biased towards children of McDonalds' employees. But there's no reason all three can't exist, at least not in a capitalist society like ours.

By the way, someone from my (public magnet) school got one of those awards, so I assure you they're not restricted to the wealthy.
This discussion has been closed.