Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

if they can do it, you can too!

asian sensationasian sensation Registered User Posts: 515 Member
edited June 2008 in High School Life
im watching this japanese drama/show that's about these 6 kids from a high school that has an average test score of 36/100 aiming to go to the best university in Japan- Tokyo University.

unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on how you think of it), admissions into japanese universities are solely dependent on how you do on the national exam, so hs background, EC's, etc don't matter to them.

so, my inspirational advice is this, if they can make it into Tokyo University (the Harvard of Japan) by passing their entrance exam, i'm sure we all can get high SAT/ACT/SAT II scores with some perseverance that those hs students have, right?

they're drilling themselves hard and take many practice tests and etc. considering our SAT's and other exams aren't as hard as the japanese national entrance exams (trust me, our SAT's just test CR/M/W, their test has classic/modern literature, physics, math, and english questions on it), we can do it too!

(in reality, i'm in the middle of the show, so i don't know if they really make it or not, lol)

yay, inspiration!
Post edited by asian sensation on

Replies to: if they can do it, you can too!

• LiistLiist - Posts: 1,787 Senior Member
    The entrance exam was how my dad got himself out of a poor Chinese village and into a decent middle-class wage in America. He inspired me (that and his really high standards).

Of course, there are the days that I wish I could hang out or play video games.
  • ArtOfMind_21ArtOfMind_21 - Posts: 923 Member
    Yeah, my dad also told me about how the college admissions are soley based on the national exam.

Want to hear a genuine inspiration story thats actually true, that my dad told me?

One of my fathers friend was a kid that everyone thought was an utter dolt. A lot of students and teachers deliberately ignored, and rebuked the student for his low marks in school. One day, he decided that he wanted to attend the top university of Korea, in merely a year, he scored the highest possible mark on the national exam. Everyone was in utter confusion when they discovered that he was the top-scorer in the country.

Guess who was the only one smiling during graduation? :)

Btw, my dad told me that he saw him studying as if the exam determined his death.

amazing.
  • asian sensationasian sensation Registered User Posts: 515 Member
    that is amazing. i love inspirational stories like those artofmind_21 and liist..

i just finished the drama/show, 3 of the 5 students made it into tokyo university. 2 of them failed though.

it's still inspirational. i wish i had even 10% of the diligence your dad had, liist, and your dad's friend had, artofmind, lol
This discussion has been closed.