Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How weird is this?

aigiqinfaigiqinf Registered User Posts: 4,032 Senior Member
edited June 2008 in High School Life
So at first, I was mad. Now I actually find it kind of humorous. On my transcript for this year are 3 math classes.... and this what colleges will see:

9th grade

Look weird to anyone else? Geometry was actually taken in between the 8th and 9th grades. Therefore, I had 1 AP, 6 honors, and 1 standard class (Algebra II isn't offered honors here) I had the most difficult freshman schedule in my county. My lowest grade is in my 1 standard course MY ONLY B.... not my AP... my standard course. Of course, although I made a 94 in APAH... I only made a 3 -_-.

What will colleges think of this... or will it matter?

If anyone is curious, my Algebra II class was online like several other of my classes... I was overwhelmed this year with my classes at first... juggling my 11ish ECs. It came Christmas time and I had done NO work. My mom had a mini-stroke and Christmas vacation (when I had planned to do the work once in had suddenly turned December) just went by.

I actually end up sitting there, realizing that I had 4 weeks of APAH and 18 weeks (the entire course) of Algebra II left to do. I stayed up 3 nights in a row working all night, and working 3 full days. (I started on Friday and didn't try to sleep until Monday although I dosed off quite a bit while working.)

Will my 99 in Pre-cal Honors make up for my 90 in Algebra II? Should I have my counselor mention the circumstances?
Post edited by aigiqinf on

Replies to: How weird is this?

• fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    won't matter. not weird. normal. 90 or anything above is still great. Don't stress
  • stone_cutterstone_cutter Registered User Posts: 783 Member
    ^ Actually 90 is almost a B... but I agree, I don't think it'll matter...
  • InvoyableInvoyable Registered User Posts: 3,582 Senior Member
    It's not weird at all.
  • PoseurPoseur Registered User Posts: 3,331 Senior Member
    Most systems, like mine, don't even differentiate between different A's. An A is a 4.0, whether it's an 89.6 or a 110. If colleges translate your GPA to their own scales (which most do, because every school system has a different way of doing grades), every A will look the same.

Oh, or is a 90 a B in your system? Either way, it will likely be translated to an A.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,875 Senior Member
    Nope, not weird. Mine was the opposite (I'm better at Algebra.) Some people are just better at geometry. Most colleges won't care.
    True that. Different types of math are easier for different people. I sucked c-ck at Precalc but I'm beast at Calc.

Actually, my Precalc teacher was terrible and my Calc teacher is amazing. Maybe that's why.
  • stone_cutterstone_cutter Registered User Posts: 783 Member
    "Most systems, like mine, don't even differentiate between different A's. An A is a 4.0, whether it's an 89.6 or a 110. If colleges translate your GPA to their own scales (which most do, because every school system has a different way of doing grades), every A will look the same.

Oh, or is a 90 a B in your system? Either way, it will likely be translated to an A."

this is the grading scale for our school:

94 - 100 = A
    90 - 93 = B+
    84 - 89 = B
    80 - 83 = C+
    74 - 79 = C
    70 - 73 = D+
    64 - 69 = D
    anything below = F

I hope colleges look at grading scales when viewing applications...
    They do -- counselors send an attachment that explains exactly how the grading system works; in addition, your application will be first reviewed by a 'district' admissions officer who is familiar with your school system and how they do grades.
  • aigiqinfaigiqinf Registered User Posts: 4,032 Senior Member
    Most systems, like mine, don't even differentiate between different A's. An A is a 4.0, whether it's an 89.6 or a 110. If colleges translate your GPA to their own scales (which most do, because every school system has a different way of doing grades), every A will look the same.

Oh, or is a 90 a B in your system? Either way, it will likely be translated to an A.
    A 90 is a B in my system, and even worst in a standard class it's a 3.25.
    So even though my average is a 95.5, my GPA is a 4.75w and 3.86un.

I'm considering petitioning my Local board of education to change from the current scale to another option provided by NC: A=93=4.0 B=85=3.0.

Has anyone read "A is for admissions?" What I'm worried about is my school doesn't rank, and thus they'll use the CRS table with grades. Does anyone know whether they use your average in % or WGPA?

Furthermore, my understanding is at my state magnet, no percentage grades are released. Thus frustrating CRS. If I'm accepted.

I think people will be confused with my application, our Grading scale is on my transcript, but not our GPA scale. Go figure.
    Nope, not weird. Mine was the opposite (I'm better at Algebra.) Some people are just better at geometry. Most colleges won't care.
    I didn't mean Geometry vs. Algebra II, I meant Algebra II vs. Pre-cal... and here Pre-cal is Algebra II +Trig and nothing else. Although you're required to take both.
This discussion has been closed.