Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is an Ipod even worth it?

aisgzdavinciaisgzdavinci Registered User Posts: 1,997 Senior Member
edited July 2008 in High School Life
I wanted to buy one, but I don't wanna install all that software crap just to get a video on it. Should I buy it or should I just go with a cheap brand?
Post edited by aisgzdavinci on

Replies to: Is an Ipod even worth it?

• fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    I was heavily debating this when I decided to buy a 4gb ipod. It ended up to be the best $150 I have ever spent. 2 things though; don't buy one if you don't plan on downloading a huge load of songs. Also, don't purchase each song or music video off itunes (.99 or 1.99 each song...no thanks). Either borrow friends CD's or find some other way to get music (that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money). Now if you only want an ipod for video capabilities, it's really not worth all that much. I'd just go with a regular, much cheaper mp3
  • LiistLiist - Posts: 1,787 Senior Member
    If you use Firefox, get the add-on called Download helper.

Then get on an internet radio site like Pandora, Slacker, or last.fm and you can rip songs that are playing. It helps in diversifying your playlist. Remember to add .mp3 at the end of each song, otherwise it's just a file.

I have yet to see any legal problems with doing this.

Get an iPod classic or 32GB iPod touch if you have a ridiculously huge playlist.
  • roses&cloversroses&clovers Registered User Posts: 363 Member
    or just get frostwire
  • zenythzzenythz Registered User Posts: 308 Member
    Liist: Surely you would be violating some sort of law by doing that? It seems like a good idea, but are you sure there aren't any legal repercussions?
    At least no one is tracing my IP through BitTorrent or Limewire.
  • PlattsburghLoserPlattsburghLoser Registered User Posts: 5,487 Senior Member
    I prefer the Creative Zen Vision M - which accepts most video forms and has a converter installed, in case x-video isn't recognized.

I truly think this player slaughters iPod several departments.
  • ButternutButternut Registered User Posts: 2,002 Senior Member
    I hope an iPod is worth it, because I bought one on ebay yesterday....
  • friedricefriedrice Registered User Posts: 1,280 Senior Member
    It depends on what you want: shuffle, nano, classic, or touch. Either way, you will need to use iTunes. From my experience, iTunes is the best music management software by far. And that to me, makes all the difference.
  • chocolatelover03chocolatelover03 Registered User Posts: 1,386 Senior Member
    i love my ipod...it was a great investment.

it comes in very handy for long trips or car rides :)
  • ArtOfMind_21ArtOfMind_21 - Posts: 923 Member
    screw the IPOD,

Asian companies FTW!
  • yeahallieyeahallie Registered User Posts: 1,232 Senior Member
    The iPod is awesome. Though, it is a pain in the ass to put movies on it...
  • MetdethGNRMetdethGNR Registered User Posts: 952 Member
    An iPod? No.

Dude I just bought a Zen by Creative. It is freaking awesome. First, it is about half the price of an iPod. Second, it comes in 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, or 32 GB.

Third, the screen is 2.5 IN!!!! Much, much bigger than the screen of an iPod.

It also has a 16 million color resolution. Which pretty much says any photo or video looks amazing.

You can download movies, random clips, etc. It is called a "multimedia player". You can record yourself. It also has FM radio.

My zen rocks. My zen is better than your iPod. =P
    I had a Zen Nano, never really took care of it. But you wouldn't believe how convenient having that little thing and only using AAA batteries will be.

I'd rather get a Zune or iPod touch, because they have bigger screens.
  • Venkat89Venkat89 Registered User Posts: 7,327 Senior Member
    My friend and I both had Zen mp3 players. We both hate them. I exchanged mine for an ipod because the headphone jack kept breaking. His basically died on him after a year (as in he can't press any buttons. he is stuck on random song mode and can't skip songs). I would say to get an iPod. They are worth the money. The other mp3 players, in my experience, aren't a whole lot better. You might as well have what everyone else has rather than being the strange kid with a different mp3 player.
  • fhgfhg Registered User Posts: 1,376 Senior Member
    I LOVE my iPod. I initially got it over another type of mp3 player because of itunes and I am so happy I did. I haven't had any major issues with it in the almost 2 years I've had it and it has space for my huge music library. A good investment.
This discussion has been closed.